Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DNR Banning Mineral

Sounds like they will!

"Wildlife" means any wild bird or wild animal residing in or migrating through the state of Iowa."

Wow! My Granny is gonna be pissed! :mad:

Bird feeding is one of the exceptions under subsection 3 along with some others.

The prohibitions contained in subsection 2 are not
applicable to the following:
Feed that is used to attract wildlife for viewing and observation if the feed is placed within fifty yards of a
residence, dwelling, or other structure permanently inhabited by a person.

The way I read it, bird feeders and such at home are fine.

How about the size of a food plot? Mine are small,,probably concentrate animals. That is next,,size of food areas. In the end,those with big equip, big money, will feed the deer.

PHP:
It shall be unlawful to hunt, take, or attempt to take any
wildlife on or in a baited area.

I am coming late to this party...but what exactly constitutes a "baited area" in terms of size, etc?

If I have an old mineral site on my farm that I choose not to excavate, etc, how far away must I be to be able to hunt my own farm without potentially running afoul of the section of the proposed statute above?

PHP:
It shall be unlawful to hunt, take, or attempt to take any
wildlife on or in a baited area.
I am coming late to this party...but what exactly constitutes a "baited area" in terms of size, etc?

If I have an old mineral site on my farm that I choose not to excavate, etc, how far away must I be to be able to hunt my own farm without potentially running afoul of the section of the proposed statute above?

As it is now it probably be up to your CO. However if you choose to not cover or excavate it may cost you $100 per day.

New Code section 481A.41 prohibits the feeding or baiting
34 23 of wild birds or animals by intentionally placing, depositing,
34 24 distributing, or scattering feed to lure or attract such
34 25 wildlife to a specific location. The provision also prohibits
34 26 hunting, taking, or attempting to take wildlife in such
34 27 an area. There are a number of specific exceptions to the
34 28 prohibition against feeding or baiting wildlife. A violation
34 29 of the Code section is a simple misdemeanor and is punishable
34 30 with a scheduled fine of $100 under Code section 805.8B(3)(e).
34 31 A person charged with a violation of the Code section is
34 32 required to immediately remove all feed from the baited area.
34 33 Each day that the feed remains in that area constitutes an
34 34 additional violation. Peace officers shall issue warning
34 35 citations only for a violation of the new provision from July
35 1 1, 2010, through June 30, 2011.

They are going to have to hire more bodies if they want to enforce that one. This may make an interesting Poll...who will destroy existing sites on their dime, who will just not create or add to existing sites and who will ignore the law altogether.

Yes it would include corn piles. The bill is for wildlife feeding in general.

Unless it's within fifty yards of a residence............can you say retarded??? I hope everyone that has supported this bill is forced to break open their kids piggy banks to pay for excavation bills after their "bait piles" have been dug up with an endloader............Shoveling some dirt on top of them isn't going to make them unattractive to deer. I'm just glad I never had the notion to put out any mineral blocks in the first place, otherwise I'd really be pissed off about the whole thing.:way:

It seems TEXAS must be loaded with Disease then. They have been feeding deer down there, in a Big Way, for many years. Strange I don't hear about a problem from there??

How does the wording of this affect trappers. Can trappers bait their traps?

Trappers are ok. The bill in the Senate is SF2296. It is a long bill covering a lot of issues that may effect outdoor enthusiasts. Here is the link to the Senate bill.

http://coolice.legis.state.ia.us/Co...Service=Billbook&ga=83&menu=text&hbill=SF2296

The House bill is HF2481 and is basically the same but also has the Penttengill amendment allowing residents to transfer tags to non resident close relatives. See the post about this in the legislative section of Iowa Whitetail. I don't know where this legislation stands at this time, but it hasn't been voted on yet and amendments could still be added.

Looks like our trail cams will have to come up to the house near the bird feeders now! :D Same problems with this bill as with trying to ban texting while driving. How could there ever be enough man power to enforce it?

So did the bill for mineral sites get passed?

If it did, can we still put out corn for trail cam pics?

Thanks very much!

Cory

Passed the Senate and sent ot the House. There are a number of Bad ammendments and several good ammendments that could still kill the baiting Portion of the bill. Check the legistative forum

Top Bottom