Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DNR to hold public meetings

jw_wildfire

DNR to hold public meeting to discuss fall hunting and trapping regulations

Des Moines - The Iowa Department of Natural Resources is hosting public meetings on March 6, to discuss possible changes in the hunting and trapping regulations for this fall.
The changes would affect deer and waterfowl hunters as well as hunters and trappers who pursue bobcats and otters. Proposed changes would stabilize deer numbers in some areas, potentially add a third zone for waterfowl and increase the harvest number of otters and bobcats.
The list of possible changes is available online at http://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/uploads/Hunting/proposed_changes2012.pdf
“These meetings are part of the new process instituted by Governor Branstad last year for making rules in state government,” said Dr. Dale Garner, chief of the wildlife bureau. “Any changes must be discussed with Iowa’s citizens who might be impacted by the changes. The new process helps ensure that rule changes serve the public’s wishes and do not unnecessarily impact Iowa’s economy.
“The regulation changes for deer would allow deer numbers to stabilize in areas of the state where numbers have been reduced to the department’s goal while still allowing hunters to harvest extra does in areas of the state where numbers need to be reduced,” Garner said. “Without these changes deer numbers in some areas of the state will continue to decline and Iowa will lose its standing as one of the best states for hunting whitetail deer. Failure to make these changes could adversely affect rural areas since deer hunters spend nearly $200 million annually.”
The proposed changes for the waterfowl season are due to a change by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service which now allow states to have three zones and a split waterfowl season.
“We surveyed waterfowl hunters twice in the past year and there appears to be increased interest in a third zone,” said Garner. “We need to continue these discussions to decide if this is what hunters really want to see for the next four years.”
Meetings will be held from 6 to 9 p.m. in the following cities: Ames, Burlington, Carroll, Centerville, Clear Lake, Clinton, Council Bluffs, Creston, Decorah, Fort Dodge, Johnston, La Porte City, Marshalltown, Middle Amana, Onawa, Ottumwa, Peosta, Sheldon and Spencer. Complete addresses along with the proposed regulation changes will be post on the DNR’s website.
For those who cannot make the meeting, comments may be sent to wildlife@dnr.iowa.gov.

Make sure you go to the link and review what they are proposing. It actually shows the county by county recommendations for antlerless quotas.

I also vote that you lose all rights to piss and moan on this website about the deer populations if you do not attend one of the meetings and voice your opinion......... It is really easy to talk tough here, but now you have the opportunity to do it face to face with the folks making the recommendations.

This one will make people squawk a little bit!
3. Change regulations so that hunters who obtain a paid early muzzleloader license may not obtain a paid antlerless license during the shotgun deer seasons.
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]This change would allow more of the hunters who only want to hunt during the early muzzleloader season an opportunity to obtain a license. The quota for this season has filled in less than a week in each of the past 2 years.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Geez somebody from Clayton county must have some serious pull.
Hey Justin- looks like it is still gonna be whackem and stackem in your neck of the woods. Bull sh%* if you ask me but what do I know. Atleast they are looking at a major decrease in Fayette Co.

Yeah not that it matters I guess. I don't think Allamakee has ever sold out. Just means the same ground that gets pounded every year will get pounded again. Really doesn't address high population/problem areas.

On a side note. I talked to a guy from our Whitetails Unlimimited committee and he said they were all gonna send letters to the state to push for lower doe tags and to eliminate seasons. I thought it was cool that WU would step up.

I like it. Folks better attend!
I do think the Late Antlerless season is INFINATELY worse than the Nov antlerless season though. No comparison. And heck, the Nov season has few if any shed bucks & is only a few days VS a season right in the middle of dropping antlers that lasts 3 weeks & goes to February AND has rifles and is after deer that are stressed being chased from Oct 1 (or sooner with youth season), etc, etc, etc. I wish the compromise was keeping the Nov season but getting rid of the Late Antlerless season. If that one couldn't go thru, second choice would be trimming the late Antlerless season to one week long (or less).

good stuff though, folks better get out there!

I really like what I'm seeing as far as the options for the waterfowl seasons especially the last two options which would keep the duck season open until dec 23 and goose open until jan 18. As far as the deer I like the fact they are shortening the late season and doing away witht the november season. But they need to reduce doe tags in southern iowa too. Not reducing them is not very wise imo.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Locations

AMES
Ames High School, 20th & Ridgewood
Enter front door and follow hallway straight ahead to back lobby, turn to left and take stairs down. Once downstairs, take left or right to go around auditorium to back hallway to ICN room.
BURLINGTON
Burlington High School, 421 Terrace Drive
Past the small parking lot, park and enter near the back of the IA building.

CARROLL
Carroll High School, 2809 N. Grant Road
Enter north side of the building. Doors will be unlocked approx imately thirty minutes in advance.

CENTERVILLE
Centerville High School, 600 CHS Drive
Enter south side of Simon Estes Auditorium

Clear Creek/Middle Amana
Clear Creek/Middle Amana Elementary School
3023 220th Trail, Middle Amana
Enter through Library entrance on the north side of building.

CLINTON
Clinton High School, 8th Avenue S & 9th Street
Enter east side of building past the Commons steps at the far end of the large parking lot. Doors will be unlocked one half hour in advance.

COUNCIL BLUFFS
Abraham Lincoln High School, 1205 Bonham Ave.
Enter main entrance of school.

CRESTON
Creston High School, 601 West Townline Road
Enter the south main doors.
DECORAH
Luther College, 700 College Drive
Room is located in the Preus Library

FORT DODGE
St Edmond High School, 501 N 22nd St.
Enter main entrance off N. 22nd Street

JOHNSTON
Johnston High School, 6501 NW 62nd Ave.
Enter south side of building. Left in hall to last hall on R, R to Rm#226 The front doors (on the south side of the building) will be unlocked one half hour before.

LAPORTE CITY
Union High School, 200 Adams Street
Enter through Activities Entrance, turn left just before gym. Classroom will be at the end of the hallway.

MARSHALLTOWN
Marshalltown High School, 1602 S 2nd Ave
Enter middle set of doors.

OTTUMWA
Ottumwa High School, 501 E 2nd
Southwest Voc. Tech entrance

ONAWA
Onawa West Monona Jr Sr High School
1314 15th Street
Enter the main high school doors closest to parking lot, follow hallway to the rightinto the middle school.

PEOSTA
Northeast Iowa Community College, 10250 Sundown Road
Park on southeast side of main building in lower parking lot. Room 139 will be just inside entrance.

SHELDON
Northwest Iowa Area Community College
603 W Park Street
Building D

SPENCER
Spencer High School, 800 East 3rd Street
South side - West end

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Time 6:00-9
Also location change
Please note the Marshalltown site has been updated to the Area Education Agency at 909 S 12th Street.

Not many changes in SW Iowa. I was really hoping to see some kind of a decrease. Certain areas are over populated no doubt, but it is those concentration areas that people go by and say, "wow, they still have a lot of deer here". In reality, certain areas of the county aren't having these over population issues and does are still being slaughtered.

I cant believe they dont want to lower the antlerless tags for Story Co. Thanks for the post. I will definately go to this meeting.

i agree with it! i didnt see near the deer i have in past years kinda scary!...i seen better bucks of course which would the result less competition with other deer....but the amount of deer i seen was pretty low. i hunted late muzzleloader in union county over a picked corn field that in the past would be full of deer you would lose count, this year i sat 4 sits there and seen less then 20 deer each time. i was baffled to say the least!!! its time we got the numbers back up to where they should be because there are small numbers in some areas.

One thing to consider guys......

I attended this meeting last year in Decorah and I will give you a little heads up on how they are formatted. There will be DNR officials running the meeting and they showed a video on Iowas natural resources at the beginning. Next they broke us down into groups and listed all of the concerns (hunting, trapping, fishing, etc,,) Then we came together and discussed all of the issues and ways to "fix" the problems. There is no need to go in pissed off because the people running the meeting had the exact same concerns that we did. It was a productive meeting that in the long run obviously had 0 effect on Branstads decisions :(

Point is... They (the DNR) had the same concerns we as hunters did and I think they are more or less looking for opinions on how to get through to the governor or atleast get some backing from Iowas hunters. We had a great turnout in Decorah, but there was 1 person that showed up for the Waterloo meeting! If we don't have high #'s at all of the meetings, do you think Branstad will listen? This is our chance to give the DNR the support they need to get through to him IMO. I hope all of you make the effort to show your faces and be heard :way:

Dropping 4125 tags in Clayton. Holy smokes is Clayton county hurting or what? Very glad to see Nov antlerless gone and 1 less week for jan. antlerless. Also glad to see an increase to bobcat quota. It is pretty common now to see them from the stand, at least around my area. Called in 2 now while coyote hunting. Saw plenty of tracks while shed hunting too.

Too bad all of this means nothing unless the mustache signs it.

Top Bottom