Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DNR Wildlife Rules: ICN Public Meeting, Feb 22, 2017, 6 -9 PM

Rjack

It is time again to express your opinions to the DNR. Please pass along to friends who might be interested.

Right now, the announcement is on the main hunting page of the DNR - http://www.iowadnr.gov/Hunting (Note, there is a pop up where you can enter your email so you get notified each year and don't have to rely on seeing it here)

The PDF of locations can be found here:
http://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/uploads/Hunting/2017_icn.pdf

Here is the email I received:
DNR to hold listening session on fall hunting and trapping regulations
Des Moines - The Iowa Department of Natural Resources is hosting public meetings over the Iowa Communications Network on February 22 from 6 to 9 p.m., to listen to the public’s thoughts on the hunting and trapping regulations for this fall.

These meetings are part of the process for making rules in state government.

“Any rule changes must be discussed with Iowa’s citizens who might be impacted by the changes before the rule changes are proposed. The process helps ensure that rule changes serve the public’s wishes and do not impact Iowa’s economy,” said Dr. Dale Garner, chief of the wildlife bureau.

At each meeting DNR staff will facilitate a discussion about what went well last fall, what didn’t, and what changes hunters and trappers would like to see for this fall.

These discussions along with the data that the wildlife bureau collects on harvest and population numbers will be used to develop recommendations for any rule changes. Any changes must be approved by the Natural Resource Commission and then go back to the public for further comment before taking effect next fall.

Meetings will be held in Ankeny, Boone, Calmar, Centerville, Clinton, Correctionville, Council Bluffs, Creston, Iowa City, Marshalltown, Mason City, Ottumwa, Peosta, Sac City, Sheldon, Spencer, Tripoli and West Burlington.

Listening Session Meeting Locations

ANKENY - DES MOINES AREA COMMUNITY COLLEGE

Building 6 Room 8

2006 South Ankeny Blvd., Ankeny

BOONE - DES MOINES AREA COMM COLLEGE - BOONE CAMPUS

Classroom 117 & 118

1125 Hancock Drive, Boone

CALMAR - Northeast Iowa Community College - Dairy Education Center

Room 114

1527 Hwy 150 South, Calmar

CENTERVILLE HIGH SCHOOL

Room 150 - Use main door by auditorium.

600 CHS Drive, Centerville

CLINTON COMMUNITY COLLEGE

Classroom 105

1000 Lincoln Blvd., Clinton

Correctionville - RIVER VALLEY JR-SR HIGH SCHOOL High School

512 Fifth St., Correctionville

COUNCIL BLUFFS - LEWIS CENTRAL MIDDLE SCHOOL

3820 Harry Langdon Blvd., Council Bluffs

CRESTON - SOUTHWESTERN COMMUNITY COLLEGE

Instructional Center Classroom 207

1501 West Townline Road, Creston

IOWA CITY - KIRKWOOD COMMUNITY COLLEGE -- IOWA CITY CAMPUS

Classroom 117

1816 Lower Muscatine Road, Iowa City

MARSHALLTOWN COMMUNITY COLLEGE

Continuing Education Building, Classroom 806, Enter in Door 11

3702 South Center Street, Marshalltown

MASON CITY - NORTH IOWA AREA COMMUNITY COLLEGE

Business Incubator Bldg (BI128), Classroom 128

500 College Drive, Mason City

OTTUMWA HIGH SCHOOL

Voc. Tech. Building

Classroom 157

501 East Second, Ottumwa

PEOSTA - NORTHEAST IOWA COMMUNITY COLLEGE

Classroom 139

10250 Sundown Road, Peosta

SAC CITY PUBLIC LIBRARY

1001 West Main Street, Sac City

SHELDON - NORTHWEST IOWA COMMUNITY COLLEGE

Building D

Classroom 402

603 West Park Street, Sheldon

SPENCER - Iowa Lakes Community College

Spencer Attendance Center; Fiber Optic Room #118

1900 N. Grand Avenue, Spencer

TRIPOLI MIDDLE/SR HIGH SCHOOL

209 Eighth Avenue SW, Tripoli

WEST BURLINGTON - SOUTHEASTERN COMMUNITY COLLEGE

North Campus/Trustee Hall

Room 528

1500 West Agency, West Burlington

Thanks for posting & these are great events to have folks show & have a voice for advancing Iowa's wildlife choices. More the better that show. Thanks for posting!

The middle of December after a long day in the shop I came in the house and logged on to IW (first time all day)
The Mrs. Said we need to plan a trip to Up State New York to see the new grand baby.
She said how about the second week of February I said nope IBA spring banquet. Then she said last of February I said nope ICDNR and Deer Classic.
There was silence I looked at her and she was giving me that looko_O
She said Ishi ( she hasn't called me that since we were on that mountain in California:D)
If you don't watch it the baby will be graduating before you get there.
I said okay we can fly out the 17th.
I received the email that its scheduled for the 22nd. So I won't be in attendance:(
If you don't have to fly anywhere to see a grand baby or have family activities please go. Its for a good cause and if nothing else you will feel good knowing that you are trying to make a difference.

Glad to report she was born February 2 and we are very excited to see and hold her. See you at the banquet!

Last edited:
Congrats on the new granddaughter Ishi. :)
The 22nd is my 25th wedding anniversary. Up to this point I have not been able to convince my wife that a DNR meeting is an appropriate way to celebrate 25 years of marriage. :rolleyes:
So, I likely won't be able to attend this year either. I love hunting, but I would really love to have at least 25 more years with my wife.
If any of you can attend, please do so.

I'll be at the Ankeny one this year. I have attended the meetings the last two years and it is well worth your time.

Also, PASS this information on. In years past there have been many people that say they don't get the information about the meeting or it is brought to their attention way too late. Get the word out and lets get a lot of people to attend!

Guys, please wake up here (everyone) - with shed buck season possibly around the corner to be re-implemented, we need lots and lots of voices out there. Stop messing with the deer seasons!!!!! If u care about the state of Hunting and saw what I did on countless farms when shed buck season was in place- that should be a no brainer to get up and spend an hour of ur time. No brainer. Every location needs multiple voices here. Especially this year!! We need to fight this off!!! QUIT MESSING WITH THE FRAGILE DEER REGULATIONS!!!! Stop this guys. We can't afford to be bitching for years and years and watch this get etched into perminanent season status AFTER we defeated it before. Can't let this cancer back in!!!! Get out to these meetings!!!! Tell everyone one u know who cares!!!! It does make a huge difference. Also- lack of voices also will make a difference as well, a major problem in the past. Spend 30 seconds voicing your thoughts!!!! Iowa needs you!!!

Completely agree with Sligh, ^^ Get to a meeting men, make it clear that you do not support the rifle/late season.

I don't know which location but I'll be at one. Period. I have no clue what my schedule looks like but I'm going to make time for this. I will be at one of these locations. Period. This is so crucial. This will impact the vast majority of deer hunters in the state instantly if shed buck season goes into effect. All u guys who hunt 40's, 160's, 320 acre size tracts with multiple land owners in a section - yes, this impacts YOU!
YOU need to show up. I honestly believe this.... u guys proactively show up, voice concern, spread the word (Facebook, whatever), explain how u were impacted 2-3 years ago when shed buck season was still in, etc - we avoid having it put back in place. Show up, write to legislatures, etc.
DON'T do anything.... I honestly believe this season will get put into place and never be removed like last time. It was a miracle we got this disaster reversed. This time, I'll lay money on it, this horrid season will be here to stay. This is a "reoccurring cancer" we need to treat NOW before it grows and we can't control it. This will be a travesty if we allow this madness back into our season. Wake up guys, spend some time spreading the word. We can stop it. Did it before. If folks are lazy- we're screwed. So get ur big boy pants on and spread the word and show up!!!!!!!

Everyone better go!!!!! We need voices very badly and lacked in past and Dnr has said so. Please bring anyone u can. Email everyone u know. We are in critical need of sensible voices who will speak up for our fragile deer resource. It makes a HUGE difference!!! (Partially how shed buck season got removed - now its possibly back). It makes a difference and please make a positive & needed contribution. Heck - One sentence in 15 seconds is ok!!! I'll be at one of locations. We need YOU!!!!

BTW- there's probably a large % of ur buddies that don't realize the monstrous disaster of shed buck season could be coming back to life. Shoot a text, FB, email ur buddies to show and voice up to quit Messing with our fragile resource!!!

Last edited:
Ok - SOUTHEAST IOWA..... ONE GUY at the Burlington location????? Come on. That's frigin shameful. It makes me almost hope they open shed buck season in Lee & Des Moines county only!!!!! And yep- since 3 showed in OTTUMWA - shed buck season in wappello & Davis counties as well. U all don't seem to have any deer hunters anyways down there. Unreal!!!
Well done on some other groups!!! :)

Last edited:
Ok - SOUTHEAST IOWA..... ONE GUY at the Burlington location????? Come on. That's frigin shameful. It makes me almost hope they open shed buck season in Lee & Des Moines county only!!!!! And yep- since 3 showed in OTTUMWA - shed buck season in wappello & Davis counties as well. U all don't seem to have any deer hunters anyways down there. Unreal!!!
Well done on some other groups!!! :)

Fyi...two Davis county hunters were in the iowa city meeting. :) Great comments from Ankeny skip!

Also, at least 4 IW'ers here in iowa city...including the one and only...Fishbonker.

Fyi...two Davis county hunters were in the iowa city meeting. :) Great comments from Ankeny skip!

Also, at least 4 IW'ers here in iowa city...including the one and only...Fishbonker.

In the hallway group there was a guy from Henry County as well as one that hunted Decatur and another that hunts van buren, so there were some southern iowa guys in iowa city

Props guys!!! Iowa city was packed!!! Love that!!!
Yes- we had our voices on the "Red breasted yellow belly spotted warbler calling & photography season being extended by 2 days a year" but... We did have some deer hunters represent and you guys came through with common sense and defense of our resource. Well done guys!!! Our state and resource appreciate it!!!

BTW guys, FOR THE RECORD.... YES, THIS CAN BE CONVEYED TO ANY IN THE DNR, NRC or LEGISLATURE!!! AND THEY NEED TO BE EMAILED AND REMINDED ON THIS!!!!!!.......

ALL MEETING LOCATIONS... I did not hear ONE voice, not ONE that spoke up for bringing back the Shed Buck Season!!! I heard EVERY GROUP that had a response speak up AGAINST bringing it back. That's a 100% response rate from last night's meeting from HUNTERS ACROSS IOWA that said "NO" to Late Antlerless Season. I may have missed the one voice that was for it (sorry if I did & it's possible) BUT you rarely have such a consensus. That's a big deal guys!! The next big step... "You couldn't make it to meetings".... write the email addresses in all the other Legislation posts!!!! Tell them to leave our regs and fragile resources alone!!!

In our meeting the CWD was brought up and the DNR said they didn't know exactly what they wanted to do yet. However, they did say the one thing they are not to do is try to killing all the deer in the area. Also is there a place we can view what was said at all the other locations Sligh?

In our meeting the CWD was brought up and the DNR said they didn't know exactly what they wanted to do yet. However, they did say the one thing they are not to do is try to killing all the deer in the area. Also is there a place we can view what was said at all the other locations Sligh?
I think the Dnr or nrc would have notes on it. They had each room make comment sheets and then each group gave their summary one by one to the rest viewing. Dnr or nrc folks should have info. Not sure best route to find out and I'm sure others involved would know.

Top Bottom