Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Do farm ponds count?? (bass pic)

Gladiator

PMA Member
Ok, I have to admit, I absolutely love fishing farm ponds - mostly because they hold some huge fish and they don't get the pressure other lakes get. So, when you catch a huge bass out of a farm pond, should you feel like it's kind of like shooting a "high fence deer?"

I just went out to my favorite farm pond and the last 3 times I've been out there I've caught an 8 pounder, an 8 1/2 pounder, and this is the one I caught today - big ol' female right around 22" (didn't weigh her but I'd guess in that 6-7 pound range since she was 22"). My buddy and I caught around 50 bass (mostly males in that pound and a half range with some smaller and some making the 2-3 lb mark).

I guess I have a lot of fun on the farm ponds and am naive to how others view big fish from them...any thoughts from the members??

Here is the pic...

IMG00012_2_.jpg

IMG00013_2_.jpg

It's no different from shooting a record book buck on private land vs public land. It's still a big buck/fish...be proud of it.
Awesome fish, thanks for sharing the pictures.

My son and I do about 75% of our ice fishing on a farm pond because it's close. They're certainly more consistent in terms of finding fish, but as I'm sure you know, there are still days that a good farm pond will humble you. Congrats...nice fish

Farm ponds are the best, IMO. I guess I'm biased about that because when I fish a lake I look for everything except bass. Farm ponds & bass were made for eachother /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Matt, I'm not sure what I think about farm ponds. Why don't you bring Taylor and I over there for a couple outings, so we can form a good opinion ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jmm46</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no different from shooting a record book buck on private land vs public land. </div></div>

and....
You still got talk them into biting!
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
Some of the best fisheries in the state!
Very nice fish, love the pix!

I say count it. Went up to my dad's cranberry marsh this weekend and fished his 2 ponds, bout 20acres of water. We killed the bass in the 3-4 pound range. I'm definitely going to get up there more this summer to get out in the boat. Caught some nice bluegills and crappie too.

Great Fish Matt!

I've always fished farm ponds since I was a little kid and every once in a blue moon I'd share a story of catching a nice sized bass out of a pond and someone would say, "oh, it was a farm pond."

I've never second-guessed fish I've caught out of a farm pond as any fish I've caught has always brought a smile; I guess I was just curious to see if any of you have had that same experience or if you'd rather fish a farm pond vs a lake...or even if farm ponds are too easy and you love the challenge of a lake??

Great fish!! Some of my best childhood fishing memories are of me riding my old banana seat bike with a can of worms and an old Shimano reel combo the half mile to the nearest farm pond. Caught some of my best bass ever back then. Every trip was a new adventure, and I think all kids should get to experience that feeling. I think any fish you catch, "no matter what size the body of water is" is fair and hard earned game. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Very nice fish. I've never known anything but farm ponds. Growing up there were no big lakes around. Its the feel of those big fish more than anything. Congrats.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Dang nice fish....heck yes they count...like it was said, you still have to get them to bite! </div></div>

I AGREE, I love farm ponds for big gills and tons of bass and I even have a few that are stocked with slabs.

Top Bottom