Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Doe down! Flintlock pistol scores!!!!!

Shovelbuck

Right now guy's I'm still grinning like a Possum in a trash can!:D A lot of you have followed my posts about the flintlock pistol I acquired and rebuilt back in August.
Well, today the old girl made meat. This morning was opening day of a new antlerless season Nebraska is trying this year. My son and I hunted the morning with nothing seen. We headed back this afternoon and I headed over to where I shot all my turkeys in the spring. At around sundown this gal gave me a 5 yard shot, close enough I thought I might light her on fire!;) The 250 grain slug folded her where she stood.

picture.php

As a side note.....I don't think I mentioned in the other posts about the previous owner of the pistol. He built the pistol in 1982 planning to hunt deer with it. Unfortunately, it's always been against the rules to use a muzzleloading pistol until this year. The previous owner passed away this spring having never been able to deer hunt with it. It's ironic that there is a memorial next weekend for him where we are shooting his ashes out across the Loup river. I'll be there with his gun for the ceremony, and it's now completed what he wanted it to do.

Last edited:
Jay - I think the only thing left for you to do as primitive hunter is to get one with a spear! Great job, love the pic as always.

I think the only thing left for you to do as primitive hunter is to get one with a spear!

Remind me sometime to tell the story about getting a muley doe with a Bowie knife. Yep, been there, done it. A spear just wouldn't be a challenge.;)

Amazing stuff, Jay! It seems only fitting that you were able to take a deer with that gun this year ... the previous owner might just have had a hand in that deer coming your way. Congrats! :way:

-Longspurs-

Top Bottom