Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Does anyone care?

I went to the DNR meeting in Creston tonight and expected to see a few deer hunters there to support the DNRs proposal to lower the antlerless tag quota. But there was NO BODY there except a couple of trappers and people interested in wildlife management in general. the ones who were there put forth alot of good information regarding Iowas wildlife and I salute them for attending. I was very disapointed that the area deer hunters don't care enough about their sport to spend a couple of hours trying to improve things by attending this meeting. There were a total of 6 people that attended the meeting. That is very sad.
People deserve what they get when they don't care. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I live in Creston, and had planned on attending until I tore a couple ligaments out of my ankle. Kind of hard for me to get around right now, pretty much just laid on the couch all evening on pain medicine.

But I figured there would have been more than that show up.

I didn't mean to rant so much but I read on here where everyone is so upset about the way our fearless leader overrode the DNR last year but when it comes time to do something no one shows up, Nannyslayer I can understand you staying on the couch been there and done that, very painful.

We had about 20 at Middle Amana. Almost standing room only. It did look kinda thin in Creston and there were a couple of others that didn't have many people there.

What suprised me the most from our group was how many people hunt in a totaly different area.

Another thing was how much the deer hunters there didn't like party hunting. On the topics of the meeting our group was the same as the other locations. Not as many waterfowelrs so we didn't have much of an opinion.

It was good to recognize so many faces at other locations.

Last edited:
I was unable to attend in Ames, but I just got done sending my concerns to their email. I just wished I could have heard the DNR's thoughts.

I was at the one at Luther, in Decorah. We have a pretty good turn out. Almost every chair was taken up by someone. But I was impressed how every site had the same idea for the deer quotes. The muzzleloader topic had a little diversity, but overall, bottom line, those antlerless seasons need to go.

I atteended in Burlington. Here are some totals for sites. lowest: Carroll 6, Creston 6, Ft Dodge 4, Onawa 6, and Spencer 5. Highest: Laporte City 45, Clinton 40, Decorah 34. Most sites had right at 20 give or take a few here and there. Very interesting to see the different areas ideas. In Burlington, only a handful were there for deer. Most of our discussion was over duck zones and season lengths. Although, I did here quite a bit about archery bobcat from more than one site.

Kids had a band concert so missed the Johnston meeting, did send in an e-mail. Was hoping to hear how that meeting went!!!

I was at the one at Luther, in Decorah. We have a pretty good turn out. Almost every chair was taken up by someone. But I was impressed how every site had the same idea for the deer quotes. The muzzleloader topic had a little diversity, but overall, bottom line, those antlerless seasons need to go.

I was at Decorah also. It looked to me like for the most part, deer hunters were well represented at all the sites. At least there was a better showing than previous meetings I went to. More important was the almost unanimous support of tag reduction and concern the deer numbers were too low. We'll see how it plays out in the next few month's.

Was nice to see some young guys at Decorah. Some very passionate pleas for reductions in doe quotas. One farmer there that had a overpopulation problem. He left with some new contacts for hunters willing to shoot his deer!! A very good example of the "hotspot" problem that our DNR has to deal with. One guy wanted cheaper, more NR tags so his son could come back and hunt with him. I felt sorry for him until he told us his son lives in Minnesota and hunts there, owns land in Wisconsin and they hunt there together also. Strikes me as a bit selfish. Happy to see a standing room only crowd.

Now the main hurdle is getting the Gov to sign off. The DNR knows what needs to happen, but cannot change the rules themselves.

There was overwhelming support for the DNR to run our natural resources and take all the politics out of it. Heard that comment from burlington crowd a lot. It was also repeated by nearly all sites that had more than 4 or 5 people there.

The Governor has been traveling around the State trying to sell his commercial property tax roll back plan......these town hall meetings have a public comment session where anything can be commented on. Have at him fellas!

Went to the meeting in Johnston.Had 22 people there.I was amazed at the differences in opinions on issues.I had the feeling that many of the issues were already decided.It was just a dog and pony show.The only concensus was that the DNR needs to manage the deer herd not the governor legislature and insurance companies!

Teenagehunter it was posted here on this site a couple of times and you are wrong about "no one listening to your opinion" everyone at the meeting had the chance to speak and give their opinion on all the topics. I feel we need to listen to the young about their opinions because you guys are the future of deer hunting and all other outdoor activities in Iowa. Hope to see you there next year.

I also attended the on in Johnston, there was a couple that showed up to voice their opinion on the bobcat and otter proposal not wanting it changed due to no scientific studies? But I do get tired of the bitching on here and people not attending these kinds of meetings or send emails to the Gov. or the Representatives. :thrwrck:

had daughters girl scout supper, but did email my concerns to the dnr. i hope everyone does this that was unable to go.:way:

Teenagehunter it was posted here on this site a couple of times and you are wrong about "no one listening to your opinion" everyone at the meeting had the chance to speak and give their opinion on all the topics. I feel we need to listen to the young about their opinions because you guys are the future of deer hunting and all other outdoor activities in Iowa. Hope to see you there next year.

I missed that post! I'll be sure to attend next year.

Top Bottom