dog chews

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting Conference' started by JRudd, Feb 16, 2014.

1. JRudd

JRudd Aim small miss small.

Just throwing it out there.. If anyone is just lookin to clear less significant antlers out to make room for more, feel free to pm me. Doesn't matter the size. I zip the g1 off if needed, toss it to my dogs, and they love it!

I have 8-10 different scrub buck antlers that they have to go through yet, and they last a long long time lol! But i just thought I'd mention it here

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. teeroy

teeroy Life Member

i'd be interested in some too!

4. oscaralbro

oscaralbro warrenboy

It is interesting and i am interesting in it.

5. JOHN DEERE

JOHN DEERE Member

I just heard today from a coworker that they are selling these dink antlers for $9-19 at Petsmart as dog chew toys. I verified it with a web search. No wonder guys are begging to buy all our antlers. May need to cash in.

6. JNRBRONC

JNRBRONC Moderator

I know the dogs probably love it and it's in their nature, but: How bad is it for the dog's teeth? I would like to hear a vet weigh in on accelerated tooth wear.

7. emercer84

emercer84 New Member

Im interested in this whole $9-19 dinks. For years Ive sold them to a guy that makes jackalopes for $1 a piece. IVe got a pile ready to sell for $9 cant seem to find where online?

8. huskerbaseball1

huskerbaseball1 New Member

Interesting point, I run my own dog chew company ($9-19 a piece is the asking price for some of the large national companies with HUGE overhead, not a realistic asking price for most), and my fiance is a veterinarian student with a vet for a dad. She's not the biggest fan of them, although she readily gives them to our dog. It's more of an owner awareness then anything, if your dog chews hard on them take it from them, or give it to them for 10 minutes at a time etc. I've sold thousands of dog treats and have never heard or seen of a dog breaking a tooth on one. Also, there's different types of chews that can help/combat hard or soft chewers. Moose and deer are the hardest chews while elk is the softest, most porous with caribou being in the middle (of the 4 types of chews I offer).

9. HorseDoctor

HorseDoctor PMA Member

Probably good for the teeth as chewing hard stuff tends to scrape & clean tartar off the teeth. Makes for healthier gums & their breath smells better too, if you get that close. Biggest concern would be if you have multiple dogs (as I do) and one is tempted to swallow a big chunk of antler, horn, bone, hoof... in an attempt to keep one of the other dogs from stealing it. Then you could be in for some real hefty vet bills, or worse.

Huskerbaseball1; Is your fiance in the UNL/ISU program? Bet I know her if she's in her 3rd or 4th year. I teach those guys (or at least I try... :rolleyes: )