Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dog problem

zattack10

Hey guys i want to grab your opinion on what you do or have done with dogs running through your properties chasing deer. I have pictures of them chasing my mature bucks. I think they have a home but am not positive as i havnt confirmed they have collars or not. A problem that is ruining a beautiful farm. I have an idea on what i want to do but just seeing what your experiences are

If collared and you know where they belong, I'd approach the owner first before taking drastic measures. If no collar and no home....BANG.

If collared and you know where they belong, I'd approach the owner first before taking drastic measures. If no collar and no home....BANG.

Not worth the legal issues it will bring. If collared you might be able to get them to come to you. If a name on the collar take to the owner with a warning the next time you take them to the local pound.

I have the same problem. Lots of stray dogs on my trail cams. The previous owner actually shot one while it was harassing a deer. Turned out it was the neighbors and he sued him for the loss of his pet. He lost!

Not worth the legal issues it will bring.

I'm not following you. What legal issues? Are you reffering to legal issues of shooting a non-collard dog running around on private (assuming private) land? Or legal issues about approaching the owner(s) if he does know where they are from?

A running dog is no good. Once a runner always a runner. Very easy solution to this problem. A .22 is ur solution. Do it and don't say a word.

Had 3 different dogs on one cam twice 2 weeks back. Was getting 2-3 mature bucks a week and since they've been running through I've had none. Irresponsible owners make the dogs look bad.

Yeah! I'm not sure why I get so many dogs on my cams in VB county Iowa? I hardly ever get any at home here in MI. Maybe they just get killed faster here, just like the deer....LOL

I have the same problem. Lots of stray dogs on my trail cams. The previous owner actually shot one while it was harassing a deer. Turned out it was the neighbors and he sued him for the loss of his pet. He lost!

The pet owner lost or the shooter lost?

Think if you have pictures the owners of the dogs should be able to be charged with harassing wildlife and you if you the hunter. Might make people more responsible.

I've never had to deal with this on any farm I hunt but I've heard horror stories. Plenty of stories about hunters that shot someones dog and got in trouble for it. If they look mangy and not cared for I think the 3 S's are in play. If they're a neighbors pet I would think it could make for bad relations to shoot the first time. I always thought I would talk to neighbors and try to find out who's they were. While doing so I would mention I had a big coyote problem and was trapping all over my land. Wandering dogs were at great risk on my property....
Last thing I'd want to do is shoot someones cared for pet. I'd return it once, then animal control then probably wouldn't see said dog again on strike 3.

If someone shot my dog off their property that I had no idea he was going on, or on for the first time out of error, I would not rest until I ruined them. Plain and simple.

I do understand habitual free range dog problems. Completely different and make sure you know for sure what's going on.

Agree with the mplane72! First order of business is to decide what type of neighbor YOU want to be, then decide how to deal with your neighbors & their dog(s). Even if you don't know who owns them, visit with the neighbors, perhaps with some pictures if you got them. Ask them. They may well know who owns them. Even the worst dogs don't roam more than a couple miles if they have a home base. Tell the owners that there is a problem and discuss the options. I keep my dogs at home but if one of them did get lost and ended up on someone else's land where they got shot first, with no warning or effort to determine where it came from, I would, without a doubt, become your very WORST neighbor ever. Trust me, my dog on your land, would be the very least of your concerns for a very, very long time. PERIOD!

SSS might be OK for wolves but not a dog!

Killing a neighbor's dog should be last resort if it is attacking you. Some of you may think it is the solution but you are wrong. I have seen too many tears over the loss of a pet dog.

My neighbor has a dog that is a big wuss, but he barks all the time. He doesn't chase deer, but he sniffs around my place which is ok if I'm not there. I tried scaring him with a warning shot. He ran, and barked. I caught him in a MB 550 ment for Coyote. I released him with a sore foot and a sore butt. He ran off, and barked. I now pull in the place and drop off a big cow bone knuckle from my freezer and he doesn't bark at all. I get a peaceful hunt, he gets a bone. It is a win win deal. He stays on his place for the most now. A Wild dog, talk to the Sheriff. A Pet, outsmart it.

The pet owner lost or the shooter lost?

The pet owner lost! The judge ruled that the dog had no value in civil court because it was a mutt! The law would not pursue charges due to the fact that the dog was chasing a deer (on video).

I would strongly recommend that if you have a dog that wanders, keep an eye on it, and keep it controlled.

Top Bottom