Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Don’t be “that” guy

srjdsmith

So, I was standing there looking for ammo (which they didn’t have) and the guy next to me starts talking. “Aww! It’s all on sale, now, but I have enough ammo and I don’t need any!” Bad sign; I mean what kind of (so-and-so) doesn’t need more ammo?!!
Him; “What are you gettin’?”

Me; “I’m switching to 450 Bushmaster this year. It worked great in Wisconsin, so I’m pretty happy to leave the shotgun behind.”

“Yeah, I carried one of those a few years ago for a few walks! I never even shot it! I switched back to my trusty 12 gauge!”

(Wait. They’ve only been legal for a year...)

Him; “Yeah. They call me ‘One Shot Jim’! Hmm. Yep, they still call me ‘One Shot Jim’! ...been a long time since I shot a deer under 100 yards! I mean, I’m not braggin’ or nuthin...”

(Yeah, I noticed that.)

“Last year I shot a doe on the next hill-top over! I was on one hill-top and she was laying down on the other! I just shot the eight-point buck she was with- about 60 yards...”

(SO much wrong with this... Wait. I thought you just said...)

“...yeah, she was laying down! Hit her in the head! Don’t even know how far she was! Couldn’t even see her! Just covered her with the round of the top of the barrel and pulled the trigger. Hit her in the head. ‘S why they call me ‘One Shot Jim’ I guess.”

Me; (grabs a box of .45 acp for target shooting and runs down nearest aisle) “Ok, nice talkin’ to ya’”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whenever I run into someone like that I find myself wondering what type of reaction they are hoping for from me. Do they honestly think people are believing there bs ? Do they hope I'm going to exclaim "holy cow, that's incredible!" ? Instead I just smile and nod and get away as soon as I can. :rolleyes:

I always take two approaches to those guys...One: Just flat call them out...pretty funny how they react when they know there B.S has been uncovered...they try to back track then they end up walking way...Or Two: I play the classic One upper...make up some story thats even more far fetched than theirs....both normally end in the same way with the other guy walking away...

"I can throw a football over those mountains"-Uncle Rico(Napoleon Dynamite)

So, I was standing there looking for ammo (which they didn’t have) and the guy next to me starts talking. “Aww! It’s all on sale, now, but I have enough ammo and I don’t need any!” Bad sign; I mean what kind of (so-and-so) doesn’t need more ammo?!!
Him; “What are you gettin’?”

Me; “I’m switching to 450 Bushmaster this year. It worked great in Wisconsin, so I’m pretty happy to leave the shotgun behind.”

“Yeah, I carried one of those a few years ago for a few walks! I never even shot it! I switched back to my trusty 12 gauge!”

(Wait. They’ve only been legal for a year...)

Him; “Yeah. They call me ‘One Shot Jim’! Hmm. Yep, they still call me ‘One Shot Jim’! ...been a long time since I shot a deer under 100 yards! I mean, I’m not braggin’ or nuthin...”

(Yeah, I noticed that.)

“Last year I shot a doe on the next hill-top over! I was on one hill-top and she was laying down on the other! I just shot the eight-point buck she was with- about 60 yards...”

(SO much wrong with this... Wait. I thought you just said...)

“...yeah, she was laying down! Hit her in the head! Don’t even know how far she was! Couldn’t even see her! Just covered her with the round of the top of the barrel and pulled the trigger. Hit her in the head. ‘S why they call me ‘One Shot Jim’ I guess.”

Me; (grabs a box of .45 acp for target shooting and runs down nearest aisle) “Ok, nice talkin’ to ya’”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jim’s BS is pretty mild...... wait till you meet Larry:D:D

I run into those people all the time. If I'm not rushed I show interest, awe and some "I'm not worthy to be in your presence". I do this just to get them all stoked up and ready for the next poor shmuck they corner. If I don't have time I just put them on ignore like they weren't even standing next to me. It is hard not to acknowledge another person's presence in our personal space, but just pretend it's your wife giving you a honey do list while you're packing your hunting gear for the week at the cabin.

Another good trick that I've used to get away from somebody is pretend my phone vibrated and answer it and walk away. That's easier to do then just ignore them.

I'll never forget the first time I paged my staff doc who was stuck in a nonending "discussion" with a patient. I simply typed in "rescue page". She bought me a soda pop. It became standard practice for me to leave the room after a few minutes if the discussion was going nowhere and page the staff doc. Somedays we would round with several residents. Those situations called for a group page and it would be like busting a covey of quail. They would all come flying out of the room. I drank a lot of free soda pop.

Had a classmate like this in high school...

Famous stories were...

-11 ducks in one shot
-So many geese in the field when they got up, it blocked out sun, and was dark for a few seconds.
-Shot a buck, it dropped behind a tree and then stood up, shot again, dropped... walked over to the spot and there were two dead bucks laying there.

-his brother broke his leg in football, but still went hunting the next day and shot 9 ducks out of blaze orange lawn chair.

Class reunions are classic! To me it’s just comedy

I was that guy last night. Went to get my doe tag for this weekend and I was 2nd in line. By the time I was up and the guy in front finished getting his 6 foot long string of tags there was quite a line behind me. Said i needed 1 antlerless tag for my county. As he was getting it I thought I might as well get 1 box of slugs. Asked him for it when he was done with the tag and he replied that they were completely out of slugs(no big deal, I have more than enough). So without really thinking I said just give me a box of the .243 shells (coyote hunting). The look I got from the worker and people in line was priceless.

• Deleted by Ishi
Show…
I love the classic one uppers. Had a guy I used to work with that was like that. No matter what I saw that weekend he saw more and bigger bucks. If I shot one he passed 2 bigger than that. It got to be such a joke that a couple of my other co workers would always be in the office just to hear his far fetched stories and egg him on. Was sure glad when he moved on.

I was that guy last night. Went to get my doe tag for this weekend and I was 2nd in line. By the time I was up and the guy in front finished getting his 6 foot long string of tags there was quite a line behind me. Said i needed 1 antlerless tag for my county. As he was getting it I thought I might as well get 1 box of slugs. Asked him for it when he was done with the tag and he replied that they were completely out of slugs(no big deal, I have more than enough). So without really thinking I said just give me a box of the .243 shells (coyote hunting). The look I got from the worker and people in line was priceless.
I was that guy a couple weeks ago also!
I was looking at new bows just for the fun of it and killing time. The salesman told me how forgiving this particular bow was when making the shot on a deer like I needed this bow to kill deer.

There were a couple of his coworkers behind the counter when I said the hunter kills the deer not the bow I’m like how did I kill deer 30 years ago with inferior equipment o_O

I have a couple of friends like this, I swear they would rather tell a lie/story when the truth is better! Best story was several years ago and a buddy had got a mount back on a huge buck, he had a get together and I asked him about it and we headed into the house to look at it. Few minutes later look out the window and here comes the story teller, I look at my buddy and said, "bet he shot a bigger one, just couldn't find it"(that is literally every big deer story he has!). Sure enough he walks in looks at the deer and without missing a beat, "Hell of a deer Jerry, but doesn't even hold a candle to the one I shot last year, too bad I couldn't find him".

We about busted a gut, he never did understand why. LOL.

Top Bottom