Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Don Kisky

Another perspective on the "hitlist" thing (even though I hate that word). Since running trail cams more, I have started to try to target certain bucks and "try" to pass others in an attempt to kill bigger bucks. It's been a journey so far for me with some missteps along the way.

However, one thing I have noticed and been amazed by, how certain mature bucks can show up recurringly on cams but never be seen on the hoof. I have one target buck for which I now have a shed from 2011 and a matched set from 2012, I don't know how many cam images of but I have never and I mean never seen than buck on the hoof. It has raised my respect level for the really mature bucks even more that before.

Very common theme for us in MN. We see a few good ones on cams that are strictly nocturnal and must bed on neighboring farms. The bucks we see on cams during daylight, we seem to end up shooting!

I'm sure the Kiskys are nice people. I have been over there and it a great spot and all seemed to be dedicated to doing what makes them happy.

Now someone made a comment earlier in the post about some doing something maybe not so up and up. I have a friend in Illinois with a super farm and lets just say some very high profile people have been caught on his place. I wont name any names but I guess it does happen. Actually took the persons stands because they were way off and these people know how to read a map as they too own land.

I don't think Lee Lakosky needs to push deer on his farm. Food, cover, and lack of pressure are the best recipe.

Westpoint,.......

they're not piles of corn or beans,.... they are standing corn or beans.

and there is a big difference,....... just ask someone who leaves them stand.

Jealousy is a nasty thing in the hunting industry.

I will also agree that a camera can/will turn something from fun straight into a job.

Jealousy is a nasty thing in the hunting industry.

Why is it when someone says something bad about someone else there labeled as jealous. Not taking aside a all. We do here every now and then about some high profile government worker or some business man that cheats the system so why not the deer hunter.
On the flip side if you don't hunt next to them than keep your mouth shut.

I'll admit I'm jealous. :) The Lakosky's and Kisky's shoot some nice ones every year. Maybe someday I will get an opportunity at one.

Some of you guys need a hobby. Plenty of ice fishing to be done, trying to beat this snow storm for sheds or go and get yourself a woman :way::way:

By speaking to someone a couple times or talking to them on the phone, I suppose I can't make a judgement about someone, good or bad. But I can tell you from talking to Don and Kandy in person a couple times regarding the 'industry' (and on the phone) they have nothing to hide... They've shared all they do and are willing to help even a low-life like myself. :D

I can't but speak great things for Don. Matter of fact, I would put Don atops most, if not all, of my favorites in the 'industry.'

**Side note - I have a ton of respect for a guy who passes a 220" 4.5 year old because it's not 5.5 (see Freaks 2 hitlist section) 8/

I wouldnt pass a 170"... but I would a 220" because I would have passed out from seeing one!!

Applying to everything I've read here.. I think the thing about lakoskys walking Kisky's land or the borders seems to be strictly rumor . I've talked to Lee through my girlfriends family (Hoping if I marry into the family I can get in on some hunting... :) ....) and he has always complimented Kisky's. They used to hunt together on whitetail freaks and became great friends.. Who would do that to a good friend.. I agree with most people about hitlisters. I dont like the fact of shooting 1-2 year old deer, I think it'd unethical somewhat to shoot deer that are under aged. Obviously it's different for young hunters but once you've shot even 5-10 deer I think narrowing your shots is good. I am 19 and I waitin until just last season to get my first bunk because I wanted a mature deer. I just get bothered by "If it's brown it's down."

Top Bottom