Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Doubled Up!

OOBoneCollector

Ty, Dad, and I had 2 days planned of hunting for second season turkey hunting here in Iowa. On Friday morning we headed out with Dad and Ty heading to a blind along the river and I headed to a blind on the other end of the farm. It was a beautiful morning but we didn't here as many gobbles as we thought we would and didn't see any birds. At about 8am I got out of the blind to walk around and see if I could spot any birds. Right away I spotted 2 gobblers out in an alfalfa field and they were heading to another one of our plots. So I ran along this trail and popped my head up and couldn't see them anymore so I knew they had to be coming up the trail. I grabbed the strutting tom decoy quick and started crawling up the trail behind it. I then saw a head pop onto the trail and it looked my way to the decoy and it was on. That tom headed on a slight run right at me. I had to quick get the gun off my shoulder and get the red dot scope on before he attacked the decoy and me!! :lol: He got to about 10 yards and I popped up and dropped him right on the trail!!!!! My heart was pounding and it was one of the most intense hunts I have been on!!!

I then called my Dad and told him to come up because there were more birds up here. I look back into the field where they came from and there actually 2 more toms and 2 hens out there (didn't see the 3rd one and the hens originally). So Dad, Ty, and I got behind the strutting tom and crested the hill to the edge of the alfalfa but the toms wouldn't come in. We decided to back out and try to circle around the birds and cut through the CRP to right where they were. Ty and I headed down while dad stayed up above to have a good view of the show. :D Ty and I cut through the CRP behind the tom decoy and when we got to the edge the birds got a little nervous because of a strutting tom coming through 6 foot tall grass, so I told Ty to stand up and shoot quick. He got a little nervous and couldn't get a bird in the sights while they were walking away and I told him to pick one out quick and shoot. He finally did at about 35 yards and dropped him!!!!!!! 2 birds, 30 minutes apart, 2 spot and stalks!!! It was definitely one of the best turkey mornings we have had and it was even more special that it was Ty's first turkey ever and all 3 of us got to share the experience together!!! We didn't make it easy on Ty to get this one, but he did a great job and we were able to get 2 birds on the ground opening morning... We had a lot of other encounters that night and the next morning for dad but couldn't seal the deal, but none the less it was a great hunting weekend and one ill remember for a long time!!!!

Ty's Bird: 22lbs, 10 inch beard, 1 inch spurs
Brooks' Bird: 19lbs 10 & 7 inch beards, 3/4 inch spurs

Top Bottom