Drip Torch?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Management' started by BRONCOMJT, Mar 17, 2007.

1. BRONCOMJT

BRONCOMJT Guest

Planning on trying to help the neighbors burn ~100 ac. of CRP next weekend. Anyone know where the cheapest place to buy a drip torch is? Forestry Supplies has them for about $150.00. I think the county conservation board has them for rent but it would be nice to not have to chase one down when needed. [​IMG]

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. JNRBRONC

JNRBRONC Moderator

I used a self lighting LP torch head (squeeze the trigger and it sparks to light) on a small LP cylinder. Your back may get a little tired of bending over to light fires, but it doesn't cost a lot of money and you have a tool you can use for other jobs throughout the year. Usually once I got the grass burning, dragging a garden rake through the flames picked up enough burning grass to drag along the edge of the burn to spread the flames.

4. turtlshell

turtlshell PMA Member

Bronco,
    I share the same feelings of wanting my own drip torch. I looked into it a few weeks ago and your $150 quote is about standard from what I found. Nothing on ebay and mostly found in Forestry Department Stores.

Must say I was bummed about the ebay deal. Kind of got me thinking I could make my own, but that could be a little risky...plus they should last a lifetime, so maybe not too bad of an investment for $150. There isn't much that compares to a drip torch when trying to create a fire line and maintain control of the fire.

I'm hoping someone can tell us there is a great deal to be had somewhere.

5. bjkpharmd

bjkpharmd New Member

I had one purchased off eBay, $110 but it was 4 years ago- someone lifted it from the back of my truck. So I guess they are out there really cheap if you look. :-(
    Be sure that all rakes and shovels have a screw through the handle or once they get hot they get loose and will fall off when you need them most.
    Another item that has proven really useful is a leaf blower- both for starting and stopping a trouble spot.

6. BRONCOMJT

BRONCOMJT Guest

Pharmer, Thanks for the reminder on the leaf blower, I wanted to haul that along this year. [​IMG] I would't mind building some type of drip torch if I could come up with decent plan. [​IMG] The cheapest I have found is $138.00 from "nationalfirefighter.com" so that may not hurt too bad as long as it don't "get lifted".

7. Central Iowa

Central Iowa Administrator

I found this link a few months back while ordering parts for my torch it is a well put together instructional on drip torch use. Navigate using the next page/previous button at the bottom.
    Drip Torch

8. IA ML'r

IA ML'r New Member

they make what is basically a weed burner that uses 1lb propane tanks, I got one at the local hardware store for around $25

It's basically cane shaped, burner on the long end tank on the short.

Works great, it's not a drip torch but it'll sure start fires just fine. [​IMG]

9. Central Iowa

Central Iowa Administrator

That sounds like a good one and alot less messy. Does it have an igniter?

10. Skully

Skully PMA Member

A twelve pack and a road flare works every time on my place. [​IMG]

11. IA ML'r

IA ML'r New Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Does it have an igniter

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, it's got a push button ignite.

12. TC

TC PMA Member

I agree, a road flare duck taped to the end of a broom. Works really well....