Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DSD Durability???

rutnstrut

PMA Member
How durable are the new softer DSD turkey decoys. Im thinking about getting a few but just not sure how the paint will hold up to them rubbing against each other in the bag or against brush in the timber

I carry mine in individual pillow cases inside the big bag, keeps them from rubbing together quite nicely.

I carry mine in individual pillow cases inside the big bag, keeps them from rubbing together quite nicely.

So does the paint hold up doing that, and do you think it is necessary or just a better safe than sorry kind of thing... I cant be pretty hard on hunting gear and if Im running and gunning I normally just have the decoys in my hands as Im moving around do you think the brush would tear them up, or the paint atleast or is it really tought stuff. I guess what Im saying is I can see using the bag and maybe the pillow cases to walk in for an initial set up but if I have to make a quick move Im not taking the time to pack everything up nicely just for a quick re-set

Nothing lasts forever, even the best stuff, especially when a guy is hard on equipment. If they rub together I bet they will scuff a little every time to the point they'll need a new paint job eventually.

but if I have to make a quick move

You and the word quick shouldn't be in the same sentence.... ;)

If I were to do it again, I would just buy the jake. That is all you really need. None of the birds even look at my hens, they go straight to the jake every time. I was worried about paint rubbing off too but I haven't noticed any sign of paint rubbing off on mine yet. I keep my jake in the bag it came with then I keep my upright hen and feeder in a different bag. Time will tell but I got to believe they made them to last.

If I were to do it again, I would just buy the jake. That is all you really need. None of the birds even look at my hens, they go straight to the jake every time.

Yep. Also, we aren't hard on ours but we aren't super easy on them either. They will hold up well against normal wear and tear. I'm not sure they are "Lane proof" but close. :way:

Be careful not to get in the habit of picking up the jake by the head. There was a weak spot behind the head near the neck that would pull apart a little. I think it was addressed but not sure. If I had to pick between the hen and the jake. It would be the jake all day long and twice on Thomas Allen's appetite.

If I were to do it again, I would just buy the jake. That is all you really need. None of the birds even look at my hens, they go straight to the jake every time.

One time I had two toms following a hen over three hundred yards away and closing to my location.

All I put was a hen decoy out.

When the hen was within a 100 yards and seen the decoy she sprinted to the hen and was all over her.

The toms liking the cat fight ran right on in.

I agree with just using the jake but the hen has came in handy many times for me also.

If I throw in another decoy like a buckwing they will not even look at it.

Be careful not to get in the habit of picking up the jake by the head. There was a weak spot behind the head near the neck that would pull apart a little. I think it was addressed but not sure. If I had to pick between the hen and the jake. It would be the jake all day long and twice on Thomas Allen's appetite.

ya, I"m gonna let that one go... BUT... He is right about the head. I had to send in my jake here a few weeks ago as the head was nearly broken all the way off. I am extra careful with my stuff, but I imagine is something heavy gets put on top of it, or if you do pick it up by the head you will experience the same thing as Limb said. So, just keep that in mind with the Jake and you'll be fine.

:way:

One time I had two toms following a hen over three hundred yards away and closing to my location.

All I put was a hen decoy out.

When the hen was within a 100 yards and seen the decoy she sprinted to the hen and was all over her.

The toms liking the cat fight ran right on in.

I agree with just using the jake but the hen has came in handy many times for me also.

If I throw in another decoy like a buckwing they will not even look at it.

I don't doubt it a bit, I just haven't had that experience yet but I am sure some day I will. Those hens do like to pick on the upright hen for sure!!

I have some awesome video I shot this weekend in Nebraska with my DSD's. I had numerous birds beat my jake and mount my hen and it didn't hurt them at all. If I can figure out how to upload it from my phone I will get it up tonight.

I usually see the same thing,but i would think that it because they dont like seeing a jake hanging out with the ladies. I dont know if you would get the same response without the hens.
I just got my upright hen and jake today,so monday cant get here fast enough!

Top Bottom