Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DWGH Farm Projects Thread 2018

How did you setup your E fence?

Height of wire, # of strands, distance between posts, etc? I'm looking to do that myself because if I don't my beans will not survive long.

How did you setup your E fence?

Height of wire, # of strands, distance between posts, etc? I'm looking to do that myself because if I don't my beans will not survive long.
I only run two strands.
Inside strand waste/belly button high
Outside strand knee high
3-4 feet apart.
This is the charger I use. You wont be disappointed. $170 on amazon and to your door in 2-3 days.
https://parmakusa.com/product/deluxe-field-solar-pak-6/
Distance between posts can vary... I stretch mine pretty tight between T posts and just used the fiberglass or plastic ones where I needed to because of slack in the line or slope of the dirt. I would say on average 30-40 yards between posts. I have a lot of old fence row on my place so I used a fence post puller to salvage old T posts for most of mine. I need to go back out there and take some better pics.
Some people do two inside lines and one outside. I did 3 lines last year and my buddy only did 2 on his and had same results.

DWGH,
Knowing you are in NCMO, is there a reason you are fencing in the beans? I guess I'm asking since you are in an ag area where deer also have other options this summer. I'm in SWMO, and on Friday we plan on putting in 8.5 acres of forage beans. Wasn't planning on fencing these in. Neighbor should have gotten 20 acres of sorgham in a couple of weeks ago, and then I'm planning on overseeding winter greens in September. Although, I do have to admit that even with 8.5 acres of beans going in with our deer density, I'm really hoping we get the rain so they will keep up from being slaughtered.

DWGH,
Knowing you are in NCMO, is there a reason you are fencing in the beans? I guess I'm asking since you are in an ag area where deer also have other options this summer. I'm in SWMO, and on Friday we plan on putting in 8.5 acres of forage beans. Wasn't planning on fencing these in. Neighbor should have gotten 20 acres of sorgham in a couple of weeks ago, and then I'm planning on overseeding winter greens in September. Although, I do have to admit that even with 8.5 acres of beans going in with our deer density, I'm really hoping we get the rain so they will keep up from being slaughtered.
There's 120 acres of beans directly across the road from my farm. However, My plot is closer to large amounts of timber and In my experience regardless of how much other crops are around, the deer will smoke the beans closest to their bedding areas first. I tried not fencing 4 acres of beans on a different farm a couple years ago and the deer laughed at me. SMOKED every plant to the dirt. I vowed I'd never do beans again without fencing them.

IMHO if you are going to go to the trouble and coin to do food plots right, don't stop short at 90%.
Its takes a couple hours and a couple hundred bucks and then you have the fence supplies for year after year.
Also, I have a buddy who hasn't fenced his, though he does 25-30 acres of plots every year and as long as we get a decent amount of rain they beans will keep up with the browse pressure. He text me a few minutes ago and said he is going to break down and fence 7-8 acres because the deer have begun to work on the beans pretty hard. The lack of rain we have had here makes it all the more critical to fence the beans.

I checked on the fence on my lunch and all was intact. Snapped a few pics
IMG_5010.JPG

IMG_5011.JPG

IMG_5013.JPG

IMG_5013.JPG

IMG_5014.JPG

IMG_5015.JPG

IMG_5016.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Deleted by MN Slick
  • Reason: double post
Show…
Looks like your plots could use a rain! Maybe just the way the pics are showing up. We have bean plots as small as an acre or so, and have never e-fenced them. They do get browse pressure, but still seem to have plenty of beans by late season. We've tried the forage beans, and although they do seem to grow through the browse much better than the conventional bean, it also seems like they don't yield as well. Just my 2 cents...your plots look great! Hope the rains come soon...

NWBuck

Dude, we need rain so bad... scared of ehd
Here’s a couple pics of beans today
These beans are half RWWP hen 2 beans and half RR normal ag bean. I’m not a forage bean guy for the exact reason you stated. I’m not an early season food plot guy.
IMG_5025.JPG

We have gotten less than an inch since the beans were planted may 26th....
Areas around us have gotten a few nice showers the last 4-5 days but they all have missed my farm

Keep in mind there are those of us that prefer trophy class deer and others prefer the opportunity at a deer. I agree with what is said about the regs but MO has a management plan and it is not age class or size of antlers. I think the hunter that likes to hunt the rut with a rifle would disagree with those of us who would like to see the rifle season out of Nov. Anyway I digressed.... I am anxious to see the level of improved hunting you have from the improvements you have made!! You might have mentioned it but how many total acres are you working with and how are the neighbors?

Keep in mind there are those of us that prefer trophy class deer and others prefer the opportunity at a deer. I agree with what is said about the regs but MO has a management plan and it is not age class or size of antlers. I think the hunter that likes to hunt the rut with a rifle would disagree with those of us who would like to see the rifle season out of Nov. Anyway I digressed.... I am anxious to see the level of improved hunting you have from the improvements you have made!! You might have mentioned it but how many total acres are you working with and how are the neighbors?
Sure to each their own. Both can certainly be accomplished if MDC made some simple changes.
I have 125 acres with 2 large tract neighbors, 1100 and 700 acres respectively. The guys that own the 1100 also lease the 700 so only 5-6 hunters on that 1800 acres and they only hunt gun season. 160 and 200 acre tract to south that get some rifle season pressure but that’s all. I’m pretty much the only one that bowhunts in he entire neighborhood on 2 sections. He guys with the 1800 acres lay off the dinks but will bust an above average 3.5ish buck. They killed a heart breaker deer I believed to be 3.5 last year the last day of the season as they were picking up their pop up blind. Literally drove to their ranger to the blind in shorts and flip flops and the deer had a doe bedded in the bay field and shot him . Scored 150” on the nose.
IMG_9585.JPG

When do you guys Normally take your Electric Fence down ? October ? a few weeks before the season ? So I assume 3 or 4 strands deer would just jump over that's why you need to use 2 ?

Thanks

When do you guys Normally take your Electric Fence down ? October ? a few weeks before the season ? So I assume 3 or 4 strands deer would just jump over that's why you need to use 2 ?

Thanks

The only year I ever had a e-fence up I believe we took it down in early November. All summer long it held and wasn't getting run into, etc. But starting in late October the fence started getting run into more and more. That made sense to me as that would align with the beginning of "chasing", which led to accidental collisions.

I did not get the sense that the deer were purposely running into the fence so as to get the beans, as there was still PLENTY of other food available, it was more of a rut thing in my mind.

Thanks

I took my fence down last week of August last year with hopes of getting the attention of a few bucks in velvet. I did get some pics but regretted pulling the fence so soon. I will wait til at least the first of October this fall.
The key to the staggered strands is depth perception that deer seem to struggle with. Idk why, just what some others I know have done and worked and has also worked for me.

The key to the staggered strands is depth perception that deer seem to struggle with. Idk why, just what some others I know have done and worked and has also worked for me.

It's kind of like when you're at a ball game and you wanna get another beer. You can climb over one row and walk down the row to the isle no problem but when you see multiple rows to climb before the free pass to the isle...youre like well maybe I can wait until the 7th or the next beer guy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom