Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DWGH Farm Projects Thread 2018

Ok well now I have to put up an electric fence this week end :) , does it really matter what brand Tractor Supply has a 2 mile Zareba solar I think for $99.00 solar powered. I would assume they all shock you ? With the poly wire you just tie together if your spool runs out ? I think I would remove first week October or so and try that.. I normally don't start getting after it till Halloween..

Arm, you put it all in perspective fur me :)

Reactions: arm
Ok well now I have to put up an electric fence this week end :) , does it really matter what brand Tractor Supply has a 2 mile Zareba solar I think for $99.00 solar powered. I would assume they all shock you ? With the poly wire you just tie together if your spool runs out ? I think I would remove first week October or so and try that.. I normally don't start getting after it till Halloween..

Arm, you put it all in perspective fur me :)
I used one very comparable to that last year and was disappointed. it was rated at .7 joules. If I were you I would go with this one....
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ZIYBF2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It is rated at 1.6 joules and does not mess around. Trust me I personally tested it. :D
get ya some of these for linking the poly wire together, just tying them together doesn't work in my experience
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AE2XTZM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yesterday morning I woke up at 4 am and couldn't fall back asleep. I decided to head to the farm and dig in the water tank that I bought a few months ago. It was a chore, but I got the hole dug for the 60 gallon tank in 1:45 minutes digging nonstop. Now that I know the strategy I think I could do it in less. Once you get the initial shovel depth lined out I highly recommend having a long handled spade to cut deeper. Then you just have to chop and crumb it out. I ran into terribly hard clay about 8 inches down.
My plan is to get it set and cut a trough down the side hill to hopefully drain into the tank better.
Wednesday after work I was able to mow in some paths to stands and spot sprayed some sericia lespedeeza that I misses last year.
water hole 6-14-18.jpg
Mescanthis 6-13-18.jpg
mescanthus 2 6-13-18.jpg
lespedeeza 6-13-18.jpg

Got up at 4:30 this morning to beat the heat, finished setting and filling the water hole and polished shoots by lanes on the adjacent stands. Gave the mescanthus another drink all before 8 o’clock.
Now off to baby show at the fair in town with my mini and the wife. Hard to believe she’s 9 months old already.

IMG_5125.JPG

IMG_5057.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Testing to see how electric fence is keeping deer out. I think I need to make some minor adjustments for some of the troublemakers. Browse pressure on the beans is very minimal, so I think it is keeping MOST if the deer out. Going to move the outside strand up some and the inside strand down just a touch.

That’s a ton of work done right!!!! Wow. The hole with shovel.... u earned that!! Bet u had blisters!!! U got some tough soil there!! ;). Well done- love seeing hard work done right!!!

That’s a ton of work done right!!!! Wow. The hole with shovel.... u earned that!! Bet u had blisters!!! U got some tough soil there!! ;). Well done- love seeing hard work done right!!!

Thanks Skip! No blisters, I’ve got some pretty good calaces (or however you spell it) from years in the gym. I was surprised as I grabbed two right handed gloves like always.... lol.

Went to check on crops today at lunch... corn is looking kinda shitty (drought stress), but if we get more rain it should come out of it. Beans are doing okay considering the conditions we’ve had.
I dumped .4” out of the gauge at 5:46 pm but looks like we had a good steady shower after that til about 7:15-7:30. So hopefully picked up a bit more than what I dumped. My buddy up the road said .8”.
Also, some of my WSGs are coming up, so that’s encouraging.
IMG_5164.JPG

IMG_5162.JPG

IMG_5158.JPG

IMG_5156.JPG

IMG_5153.JPG

IMG_5152.JPG

Isn't it suppose to knock the deer nuggets out of them ? That one deer was scratching his back on it .. :) Maybe he had a pinched nerve and need some therapy.. :D
Yes, I had it out for several days before I got the cameras on it so I'd say several learned then. Some of them may even remember from last year. From what Ive heard from people that have done the E fences for several years the deer tend to learn over time not to play. Most of the deer walked within a few feet of the fence and turned around. You can hear it popping on the reconyx video.
.6" of rain yesterday evening. Adjusted the E fence this morning so hopefully deer can't just high step over it. Very little browse pressure, with the deer density as high as it is on this section, I think that most have received the message.

It’s amazing what 2.5 days and 1.6” of rain will do to drought stressed corn. RWWP gen2soybeans are coming along better also. I will now sleep better at night and more #rain in the forecast! Herbicide did it’s job.
IMG_5205.JPG

IMG_5196.JPG

IMG_5208.JPG

IMG_5209.JPG

Praying for the forecast to hold true the next 2 days.

Got several cameras out this weekend. Assembled new tcam mounting hardware and think I’m going to love them. Excited to start gathering inventory.
IMG_5186.JPG

IMG_5191.JPG

IMG_5187.JPG

IMG_5188.JPG

Your work looks awesome. I broadcasted bean plots a couple of times in years past, and they never seemed to reach the height of traditionally planted beans, but yours look great. Now we put 'em all through a 6 row JD 7000 with much more consistent results. Got several Browning cams out identical to yours, and they're awesome...you won't be disappointed. Thanks for the regular updates!!

NWBuck

Your work looks awesome. I broadcasted bean plots a couple of times in years past, and they never seemed to reach the height of traditionally planted beans, but yours look great. Now we put 'em all through a 6 row JD 7000 with much more consistent results. Got several Browning cams out identical to yours, and they're awesome...you won't be disappointed. Thanks for the regular updates!!

NWBuck

Jelly of your JD planter. I will have one someday. I just sold 3 relatively new covers last week because I want to only have Brownings and reconyx. Though I will probably have to come across a smoking deal to buy anymore reconyx as well as the coverts have served me. I bought 12 BTE5HDE strike force (I think that’s the model number) and they have been great. I have a few of the dark ops as well.

I hung another set last night after work on the downwind side of a thick creek bottom. Pretty darn close to the road, but I've had good luck hunting off the road ditch in the past. Going to be able to blow my wind down into the neighbors open woods that typically have cattle in it. My timbered bottom is thicker than snot and I'd have to think that the bucks will like to use that transitional edge when cruising during the rut.

Have you planted the RWWP beans in the past? Do you have any ag beans planted along side of these? Just wondering if they are indeed worth the money for them. They make these crazy claims but i have yet to meet anyone who plants them. Obviously they are in the business of selling seed so of course they are going to say they are but I want to hear it from someone not on the payroll, if you know what i mean!! thanks!!! Also spectacular job on the farm work!!! True steward of the land!

Have you planted the RWWP beans in the past? Do you have any ag beans planted along side of these? Just wondering if they are indeed worth the money for them. They make these crazy claims but i have yet to meet anyone who plants them. Obviously they are in the business of selling seed so of course they are going to say they are but I want to hear it from someone not on the payroll, if you know what i mean!! thanks!!! Also spectacular job on the farm work!!! True steward of the land!
This is my first year growing RWWP beans. YES, I do have side by side RR ag beans. So I will be able to report back to you on that come late season.
We have had significant drought in my immediate area. I can honsetly say that through the drought, the RWWP beans do appear to be handling the adverse growing conditions better than the Ag beans thus far.
Will report back later on deer preference.

Top Bottom