Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DWGH Farm Projects Thread 2018

Dozer plot 3.jpg

Dozer plot 2.jpg

Dozer plot 1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s what I got done today...
I shredded and tilled the corn in. I had to push a bunch of the thatch off to get tiller on it. Stalks tried balling up on me.
After I tilled I packed it and she’s ready for fall seed. Moved blind into corn and carved out a neat little design into what was 2 acres of corn. Hopefully it will draw some blood in a few months.
Calling for 1.5” tomorrow. I’m scared to plant too soon or I’d have done that as well. I’m going to shoot for 8/15.
IMG_6535.JPG

IMG_6533.JPG

IMG_6536.JPG

IMG_6537.JPG

IMG_6539.JPG

IMG_6543.JPG
IMG_6542.JPG

I ran out to the farm to snag some soil samples for 2 fall plot locations.
I wasnt really sure how much N the destroyed corn took out of the ground. @IowaBowHunter1983 talked me into going ahead and taking a soil sample. Beans arent looking bad considering the extreme drought conditions we have had this summer. With that being said I have had 6.4" of rain at the farm since 7/14 I believe. That should help the beans finish strong.
They were planted 5/19.
beans 7-30-18 3.jpg
beans 7-30-18 2.jpg
beans 7-30-18 1.jpg
soil samples.jpg

I'm glad you've gotten some recent rain. I haven't been so lucky in extreme North MO. I'm expecting another brassica failure this year.
Our forecast here is showing extreme heat coming the next 10- days or so. Pretty glad I didnt decide to go ahead and plant this past weekend. I'm going to shoot for 8/20ish. I hope your luck changes, we can all still use more R in NMO

Thought I’d check back in. That solar panel for your e fence been working good throughout the summer? Thinking I might order one or two

Thought I’d check back in. That solar panel for your e fence been working good throughout the summer? Thinking I might order one or two

It works great, though I neglected to tend to the weeds growing into it after the first month or so. Thats on the agenda for this weekend. I sprayed them last week and got to get the fence back up from where I went into the corn to work the ground. IMHO the fence is most important the first month-6 weeks after you plant to the deer dont turn them to straws out of the gate. After that they seem to keep up with browse pretty good, depending on how big your plot is of course. I have 3 acres beans plus 2 acres of corn, for a total of 5 acres fenced. Next year it will be all plot screen and beans. I will be giving the fence some serious TLC this weekend and then keeping it up until late October I'd say.

Gave my e fence some TLC this morning. The ground worked up great after the nice rain we had Sunday. My beans are much happier. Hope to get fence back up and fine tuned after work to keep them save til late October. Sorry for the close up of my ugly mug :D
electric fence clearing.jpg

It works great, though I neglected to tend to the weeds growing into it after the first month or so. Thats on the agenda for this weekend. I sprayed them last week and got to get the fence back up from where I went into the corn to work the ground. IMHO the fence is most important the first month-6 weeks after you plant to the deer dont turn them to straws out of the gate. After that they seem to keep up with browse pretty good, depending on how big your plot is of course. I have 3 acres beans plus 2 acres of corn, for a total of 5 acres fenced. Next year it will be all plot screen and beans. I will be giving the fence some serious TLC this weekend and then keeping it up until late October I'd say.

You worry at all about it permanently scaring off certain deer?

Fence back up and rocking
View attachment 116593

I’m in the process of buying post for my fall plot electric fence right now. Do you feel that the inner strand at waist high is sufficient enough to keep deer from jump it? I plan to have the outer row about 4 feet in front of the inner row of fencing. The tall posts get pretty spendy, but I’m worried waist height is too low

Last edited:
Imho it does just fine. The staggered fencing gives them a depth perception illusion and they don’t try to jump it. That’s what I’ve heard anyways. I never had a deer jump my fencing. Just go over the outside and under the inside. That was this year before I put up the second inside strand. I should have done that from the start. I would get the 4’ fiberglass posts that work with the thread on insulator.

I’m in the process of buying post for my fall plot electric fence right now. Do you feel that the inner strand at waist high is sufficient enough to keep deer from jump it? I plan to have the outer row about 4 feet in front of the inner row of fencing. The tall posts get pretty spendy, but I’m worried waist height is too low

This might show the height a little better
IMG_6606.JPG

I got 2.5 acres of brassicas down after work. Tilled packed then seeded. It was getting dark and with R in the forecast overnight I decided to come back in the morning if it didn’t rain to do the post seeding cultipacking. Well, it looks like I’ll just be checking the gauge in the morning. Looks like we will get a good shot.
IMG_6640.jpg

Well I got seed down on the dozer plot last night on a moments notice. Wife was a trooper and picked up the kiddo and I ran to the farm. I forgot to dump last Sunday's rain out of the gauge, but there was 3.8" in there and the gauge was overflowing the 6" capacity. I grabbed a bag of clover and a bag of rye and spread it all around the pond/dam this morning. I might have just lucked out.
pond 8-7-2018.jpg

thats an enormous am0unt of food plot seed!! I bet that harvest salad and plot topper put a dent in the wallet!

Top Bottom