Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DWGH Farm Projects Thread 2018

that sure is an interesting mix. I guess im not even sure what a collard is haha...im sure your plot will fill in nicely!!

“OFFICIALLY DONE ✅”. & “rain”.

Now that’s a welcome & rewarding set of statements!!! I know EXACTLY how u feel as of last night when I finished. Well done & that looks absolutely fantastic!!! That place gonna get better through out the fall but will get better every year too with those kinda projects. Congrats - u deserve some fun coming up. :)

“OFFICIALLY DONE ✅”. & “rain”.

Now that’s a welcome & rewarding set of statements!!! I know EXACTLY how u feel as of last night when I finished. Well done & that looks absolutely fantastic!!! That place gonna get better through out the fall but will get better every year too with those kinda projects. Congrats - u deserve some fun coming up. :)
That is the hope and the prayer. I love the habitat work but I am ready to have this farm turn key... even though I know it won't be for another 2-3 years. The TSI and cover is going to be the game changer after now having 2 years of good food sources. Developing history with individual deer is what I really want to see come to fruition.

I havent checked the gauge at the farm, But Pops said he had another 1.25" from the storm last night. I enjoyed a few brews last night before the last day in my 20s (I turn 30 Saturday) and slept clean through the storm. Wife said it kept her up for an hour.
If 1.25" Holds true I think that will put us at or near 13" of rain since 7/14/18. Things are shaping up for this to be best fall plot season I've ever had.

Yep!!! Tsi, natives done, maybe fruit trees, blinds & stands tweaked ..... & ur core projects are done!!! Rotate the plots and it gets pretty manageable & easy.
I’ve gone on to some new farms many years ago.... saw mediocre amount of deer & few good bucks. 3 years after all is done- night & day difference. Ur on course for some great hunting in future. Tsi is #1 enhancement to a farm, by far, imo.

Yep!!! Tsi, natives done, maybe fruit trees, blinds & stands tweaked ..... & ur core projects are done!!! Rotate the plots and it gets pretty manageable & easy.
I’ve gone on to some new farms many years ago.... saw mediocre amount of deer & few good bucks. 3 years after all is done- night & day difference. Ur on course for some great hunting in future. Tsi is #1 enhancement to a farm, by far, imo.
All of the above but fruit trees for me... too high maintenance for me to get them started and as many ice storms as we have had the last few years I just know that as soon as I got one established it would get smoked.

Picked up another Redneck to on the blind mound overlooking the new food plot this afternoon. Its going to be a bit before I can get it positioned due to the rain but it sure was nice to see rye and clover popping up on the pond dam. I hope we will get enough rain to fill it up before the end of the fall.
mound view 8-29.jpg
pond dam 8-29.jpg
redneck.jpg

Picked up another Redneck to on the blind mound overlooking the new food plot this afternoon. Its going to be a bit before I can get it positioned due to the rain but it sure was nice to see rye and clover popping up on the pond dam. I hope we will get enough rain to fill it up before the end of the fall.
View attachment 116738 View attachment 116739 View attachment 116740

Did you look at Muddy blinds at all? I’m currently torn between a Redneck or Muddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you look at Muddy blinds at all? I’m currently torn between a Redneck or Muddy

I did consider the Muddy Bull. Though after going through pros and cons went with Redneck and really happy that i did. This is my second redneck. The panels (fear of separation at multiple seams), wooden floor construction, and the additional weight of the Muddy Bull (20% and 100# more) were the deciding factors.
Growing up a ducker i had a fiberlgass perche creek boat that was extremely light weight and durable. We beat the tar out of it every weekend at Missouri duck parks and it is functionally good as new 20 years later. The duck boat has fusion of the sections (top to body) of the Redneck blinds.
What put me over the edge was a buddy of mine here in NCMO is a dealer for both Muddy and Redneck. He has used both blinds on his farms and feels that longevity wise, the Redneck is the way to go.
For reference the weight difference in the blinds are:
Redneck Buck Palace 360- 375#
Muddy Bull- 475#

When mounting my blind to a partable tower on skids, i felt like 100# was a considerable difference and lighter would be better for mobility and less apt to be top heavy in high winds at 10-12’ to the floor. Here’s a pic of my skid blind to help picture my logic.
DJI_0034.JPG

IMG_6535.JPG

IMG_4181.JPG

IMG_4178.JPG

As a bow hunter I'll take a shadow hunter octagon everyday. Jmo. I've owned all of them. All are great blinds but for a bowhunter I've found a shadow hunter most user friendly.

I did consider the Muddy Bull. Though after going through pros and cons went with Redneck and really happy that i did. This is my second redneck. The panels (fear of separation at multiple seams), wooden floor construction, and the additional weight of the Muddy Bull (20% and 100# more) were the deciding factors.
Growing up a ducker i had a fiberlgass perche creek boat that was extremely light weight and durable. We beat the tar out of it every weekend at Missouri duck parks and it is functionally good as new 20 years later. The duck boat has fusion of the sections (top to body) of the Redneck blinds.
What put me over the edge was a buddy of mine here in NCMO is a dealer for both Muddy and Redneck. He has used both blinds on his farms and feels that longevity wise, the Redneck is the way to go.
For reference the weight difference in the blinds are:
Redneck Buck Palace 360- 375#
Muddy Bull- 475#

When mounting my blind to a partable tower on skids, i felt like 100# was a considerable difference and lighter would be better for mobility and less apt to be top heavy in high winds at 10-12’ to the floor. Here’s a pic of my skid blind to help picture my logic.
View attachment 116741
View attachment 116742
View attachment 116743
View attachment 116744

Thanks for the detailed response!

Between the 2, redneck, no question. I'll try and leave my "bias" out of it. I have several different blinds from many companies. I like quite a few. Redneck trumps Muddy anyday IMO. Good summary above.
Projects looking killer. Based on work & effort - you should be tagging a 300" buck this season!

Between the 2, redneck, no question. I'll try and leave my "bias" out of it. I have several different blinds from many companies. I like quite a few. Redneck trumps Muddy anyday IMO. Good summary above.
Projects looking killer. Based on work & effort - you should be tagging a 300" buck this season!

Any other reasons than those listed above? I like that Muddy is insulated, but that is about the only thing Redneck doesn’t have.

I know you MW guys are sponsored by Redneck , but I assume there is another reason you prefer them.

They don't make those 300"ers in Missouri! LOL. Ive been getting a lot of work done but now I need to STAY OUT and let deer be deer.
From here on out if I need to visually check on something it will be by means of the Phantom 4 drone.

I checked on the fall plots Friday after work.. Flew the drone to check them so I wasn't stomping all over the farm, I'm going to try to let the deer have it until season with the exception of moving the new redneck over the rehabbed pond food plot.
They are looking pretty good with the timely rains, looks like more in the forecast this week as well.

You have a background in video/editing/digital or just pick it up? Looking great! Second, how hard is it to learn to fly that drone? Pretty cool tool for checking plots/crops/weeds/etc without putting pressure.

You have a background in video/editing/digital or just pick it up? Looking great! Second, how hard is it to learn to fly that drone? Pretty cool tool for checking plots/crops/weeds/etc without putting pressure.

Thanks, I’m self taught on the video editing, some buddies and I used to video our hunts and video timleines are a great way to organize trail camera pictures after sorting through hundreds of thousands of pictures each fall. I just realized I accidentally published that video timeline with an extra picture of my pond after the closing shot lol.
Ive only had the drone a few months. It sounds intimidating at first, but after you get it up and fly it a few times its not hard at all.
With regards to both video editing and drone flying, its kind of like the controls on a video game. After you have done it for awhile it just becomes fluid and second nature. Play Mortal Combat and Super Mario on a Sega genesis for a week straight and its pretty easy.
P.S. i was never a gamer but my buddies growing up drug along to play with them from time to time.

Last edited:
Also, yes the drone is an incredible tool for checking in on things without stomping all over your farm. If only there was a way to check cameras with them!!! Hovering only a fee feet off the ground will however cause you to loose video contact with the drone if you are not carrful. I definitely has to be flat al limited amount of trees/timber is you are trying to hover really close to the ground like i did in a fee of those shots. All of the stills in the video were from the drone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom