Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Early Morning Double

gunrunr

Life Member
Finally made it out to go turkey hunting this morning, can't believe turkey season has been open for four days before I could get away. It was really hard to roll out of bed just after 4 am for me but it was well worth it!

The gobblers were answering owl hoots real well by 5:30 this morning as I was setting up the blind. It was so dark I had to use a flashlight to set-up and get the decoy out, something I hardly ever do. I was on a little draw running down to a bigger creek with my own crop field on both sides. The area is real isolated and can't be seen from any roads, just like I like it! I could hear the gobblers hammering away both up and down the creek from me and even behind me up the draw so my expectations were growing. A lone hen appeared behind me up the hill, must have been roosting up the little draw - she didn't seem to mind the Dave Smith Decoy out there and fed right past it. I saw a group of 3 strutters on the next little draw, about 200 yards away (I don't have a pin for that range) and misc turkeys coming and going in every direction.

Pretty quick a pair of hens and a pair of jakes came straight across the big creek and directly to my decoy. I hadn't shot a bird for a couple years so I hammered the biggest jake through the mesh at 17 yards and he only went about 20 feet before dropping dead within about 10 yards of the blind.

Victory! (just before 7 am)

But I stayed still and quiet as there were more birds to be had and I had another tag! I passed the other jake and hoped a longbeard would come in. Several passed by at about 60 yards with some hens and 3 were working the ridge behind me at over 100 yds. One of them must have got curious and kind of snuck in quiet behind me. I had him at full draw at under 10 yards but could only see the top of his head. The decoy was behind the blind from me from his angle, so he went across the ditch and strutted slowly on by. I quick guessed him at 30 yards and let one rip through a dropped back window and knew he was mine when I heard the broadhead thump.

First bird weighed in at 15# with 3 3/4" beard
and the second one was 25#, 1" spurs and 10" beard.

What an awesome morning! Two birds down with two arrows by 8 am.:way:

turkdoubleweb.jpg

Congrats! Hope you have some landowner tags or your going to be having some serious withdrawls for only being in the field 1 morning!

Way to go Boyd! :way: I'm jealous....

So, since you've shot two birds you'll let me borrow your decoy now? Let me know when I can pick it up! ;) :D

Top Bottom