Early Public Land Droppers

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting Conference' started by OOBoneCollector, Jan 9, 2019.

1. OOBoneCollector

OOBoneCollector Member

Went to scout a piece of public land on Saturday because it was too nice to sit inside. I have never hunted public land before, so I wanted to get a jump start on scouting for this upcoming fall. What started as looking mostly eye level and up in the trees for stand spots, quickly switched to grid searching and looking on the ground!

I walked 7.85 miles for 5.5 hours on this piece (Love the OnX Maps tracker tool).

First was on a south facing slope, 15 yards from a fence line heading out to an alfalfa field. The slope was brome grass with hedge trees and cedars. The PERFECT spot to find a shed. South facing staging area heading out to food... best IMO. Ended up going 61 1/4 as a clean 4 point side.

[​IMG]

Second was about 10 yards from a creek crossing that was on matted down fox tails. Still though on a south facing slope about 50 yards away from a cut corn field. Nice little 5 point side.

[​IMG]

Excited to get out more on public to scout/hopefully find a couple more sheds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. LYON

LYON PMA Member

Hard to beat a scouting mission like that! Congrats!

OOBoneCollector likes this.
  4. flugge

flugge Well-Known Member

Awesome! If you dont mind me asking, what general area of the state? Was thinking about going out this coming weekend to do some scouting as well, but the areas I will be in have the stupid late doe hunting..grrr

5. OOBoneCollector

OOBoneCollector Member

Probably just beginners luck! But South Central. I wouldn't have gone out if there was good late season weather since late muzzy was still going on, but it was upper 50's so I felt like not many would hunt. Plus, went to a piece with no food so didn't think anyone would be hunting! oooo the dreaded late doe (aka shed buck) hunt.

Niowa and flugge like this.
  6. flugge

flugge Well-Known Member

Yeah, we have been hearing of several guys already getting into sheds up in this area...just seems to always get earlier and earlier... Yeah, dont get me started on the shed buck hunt lol

7. OOBoneCollector

OOBoneCollector Member

Seems like it. I think the cold November is causing a few to drop early. However, social media plays a big roll in the "early droppers" as well. It's probably the same % every year that tend to drop early, however, the % that we see of those that drop early increases as people post things more and more each year!

RoosterCogburn and Rjack like this.
  8. deerhunter93

deerhunter93 Active Member