Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Easton 1st Deer

fastfreddy

picture.php

Been kind of slow on here for youth deer pics. My son Easton (11 y.o.)wanted to follow in his older brothers footsteps and try and harvest his 1st deer this year during the youth deer season. His older brother shot his 1st deer during the same youth season a few years ago. We started shooting my .50 cal Savage ML II muzzleloader about a month ago expressing how important it is to squeeze the trigger and control your breathing off a bench. He shot the gun like a champ so he was convinced he was going to kill a deer.

Fast forward a couple weeks...

This kid doesn't forget anything because the night before the opener (9 PM) he walks in the kitchen and says "what time are you getting me up to go hunting?" So I agreed to take him... We wake up at 5 AM...get to the farm at 6 AM and make our 1/2 mile hike down to the double bull we set up a month prior which we had all of our chairs in and the lead sled all ready to go. Were overlooking a turnip field (planted kinda late mid August) and as it's getting light we can see a few does and fawns out in the 2 acre plot. They move closer...and closer...and closer....now they are at 10 yds and know something is up but don't really spook but continue to blow at us like crazy. Eventually all 5 does work there way out of the field so the field is now empty. Well they must of liked our field better because they all came back! Now they are approaching us again and get to 30 yds and Easton says "I'm shooting the back big doe" I said "sure you don't want to wait for a buck?" He says "nope..." Then the next thing I know the gun erupts! The doe takes off on a dead run and keeps trying to nose dive into the ground as she is running away. She piles up about 100 yds away and it was all smiles and high fives!

Good Luck to all those who still out giving it a whirl.

FF

Congrats. Awesome job. Love these youth post. Takes me back to my boys first. A great memory for you both. Passing it on.

Way to go Easton, and congrats to Dad as well. About time someone put a youth harvest story on here!!

NWBuck

Great story and first deer - thanks for sharing. Congrats Easton and Fast Freddy - way to go!

Top Bottom