Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Edge Feathering and bedding areas

I literally cannot be more pleased with some of my hinge cutting projects this winter. There are a lot more trees that I could hinge, most being Elms, but I didn't want to get too thick and I'm glad I didn't cut them all. I have got some seriously thick bedding areas already this spring!! Changed the entire timber. I decided to focus on individual sections. My favorite section is a 9 acre chunk of hardwoods that had a bunch of elms throughout. Since this timber used to be pasture it was wide open before. In this 9 acre chunk I hinged 3- 1 acre areas.
We're talkin wide open
8C457D7E-4E0C-4C97-96CD-DEBAF9BB2C31_zps62fdckdw.jpg

So it begins
8E28E013-9146-4580-AF5C-D314F6CEB6DC_zpsmpbliwfw.jpg

Open no more!

8EAACAA2-EAAF-40D1-926A-E8CF8DC225A7_zpsrz4awuil.jpg

One thing I focused on and am really glad I did was to make trails through all of these areas by "organizing" the hinges. It will help the deer get into the cover and also give me a nice lane to drag out 200" deer.

One thing I focused on and am really glad I did was to make trails through all of these areas by "organizing" the hinges. It will help the deer get into the cover and also give me a nice lane to drag out 200" deer.

Exactly how I like to do it as well. It's an organized mess of hinge cuts. Looks great man!!!

My hinges I did a few years ago are so thick I think deer are having a hard time getting through it I am going to go in and open some trails up to funnel the deer. I think this will encourage more use of the hinge cut bedding areas making it easier travel corridors.

Top Bottom