Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Educating other hunters about QDM

Bowhunt

I have been talking with people that hunt around my area about QDM. They are either for it and want to help out or else they pretty much slam the door in your face. I have talked to people with an open mind and want to know what they think about QDM and deer hunting in general. I also stress that QDM in not about shooting big bucks, but is about encouraging increased doe harvest, better age structure, and an overall more healthy deer herd. I do not hold anything against a person that harvests any deer legally, but I am just trying to show the benefits that QDM can bring to their hunting. So I am just wondering how does everyone talk with people about QDM and what kind of responses do you commonly get?

I've been promoting qdm for many years. Some people catch on fast. Others are resistant, often due to lack of knowledge or misconceptions. I think if we had some good examples in Iowa that were promoted it would spread faster.

I recently read an article on QDMA, the Quality Deer Management Association. It said that membership was doubling annually and that there are now 600 wildlife management professionals who are members. These are encouraging numbers.

Hang in there and keep spreading the good word!
grin.gif

Old Buck

Top Bottom