Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ehd time again?

Found an EHD buck this morning while walking fence in Cedar County. Smelled death a couple of weeks ago coming from the neighbors, but didn’t investigate that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI, a neighbor(about a mile away from me) sent me some pics today...he found 3 dead bucks very near to his pond. Ugh. That would make four for him this year.

So is all this rain good or bad for the EHD? I found a dead buck on my property outside Albia a few days ago.
Looks like close to freezing by the end of next week. Yeah!

Last edited:
This is typical sight all over my farm. Walking to a stand with a lot of moisture. Spots like this everywhere. This is why, IMO, lots of rain causes this. This is one tiny example that I see in a thousand places on farm fields, crp, crop fields, etc. more rain, more mud & then more midges.
562bd8507dedef4367277ae3f56fd0fe.jpg

Buddy in Madison co just reported 28 on his one farm last week & almost all were found In fields & not by ponds. Dnr said they had a very high amount of reports where deer never made it to water.
Bring on the freeze!

Found this Friday morning by a catch pond

3769cf30dcc423061962ffc89d45ad76.jpg

I canceled my Saturday morning hunt to help a youth season hunter on a search & recovery in Lucas Co and found a doe.

One thing I have read that can help some is planting native plants that attract Dragonflies. Dragonflies two main food sources is mosquitos and midges. It is said one dragonfly can consume 100 midges and mosquitos in one day, some experts think more. Not that this is and end all to but could help manage future outbreaks in certain areas. Just a thought.

One thing I have read that can help some is planting native plants that attract Dragonflies. Dragonflies two main food sources is mosquitos and midges. It is said one dragonfly can consume 100 midges and mosquitos in one day, some experts think more. Not that this is and end all to but could help manage future outbreaks in certain areas. Just a thought.
it would be interesting if their is any correlation, can anyone in a hard hit area chime in please

Interesting theory. Most my places been hammered by ehd this year. One of the spots that didnt seem too bad is almost all pollinator crp. There are so many bugs of all kinds there it's insane. I wonder if some of them take out midges? Maybe, maybe not.... but I could see it being a legit theory. Interesting. I'd like to know more.

Assumed we had a few as we’ve had it in past years but hadn’t looked or snooped around. Found 2 this weekend including this guy .. would’ve been awesome in another year. Roughed at 150 and change . Wayne county
e3d8a176903acd9127b77017a517197d.jpg
f9fa30d60209fe536576a9cd0c18823f.jpg

Top Bottom