Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Experimental Food Plots

chickory,
727chickory_006.jpg

Guys, thanks for the info. Woody, that plot looks great! Do you keep it mowed like clover? I've got to try some next year.

I planted an equal mix of Biologic Green Patch Plus (mostly brassicas), Buck Forage Oats, and winter wheat in early Aug. The mix is about 12" to 18" high now. The deer and turkeys are hammering the brassicas, but I don't see alot of indication that they are touching the wheat or oats. Thinking about top-dressing w/ fertilizer, but not sure since its so close to the 1st frost...

We planted a total of about 5 acres of Imperial Whitetail Clover.
From my experience from before planting (about 4 years ago) to now I can say the deer do have bigger racks and really seem to like the clover.

What I really need to find is something to plant on our road in the woods. This part is in the shade at most times. Anybody got ideas? I don't want to plant every year.

Something easy and cheap for roads is red clover. You can frost seed it in feb or march. I have done this on logging roads, in the timber. Deer tend to browse on it as they move through an area and it has pulled deer closer to my stands many times.

from another site "Tried to grow buckwheat twice but deer ate it all down before it was 3 inches tall"

Isn't this the purpose?
grin.gif

I have to admit our fall food plot of Oats and Imperial whitetail clover mix..has been the favorite over everything else except for a patch of 10 acres of standing corn we left. The oats were you every day $8 for 70lbs and the deer have been keeping them mowed. For a week or so they got upto about 9inches tall, now you would be hard pressed to find any over 3 inchs tall anywhere in the three acre patch of them we put in. $ for $ you can bet we will be planting some more fall oats next year. The deer this year have completley changed there patterns by the effect of these two food areas we have put in. They used to hit our small imperial whitetail spots religously but now its anybodys best guess. Good for the deer bad for trying to figure them out. Anyway they are staying on our farms now and thats what the food was put in for.

Here's a novice foodplot question for the group. Are there varieties of plants that I could use that will do well in a well shaded area? I have some ridgetops that would be great to plant some of the things I've seen in ealier posts but also have a lot of riverbottom area that has a pretty heavy canopy from all the mature oak trees. Do I have some options here?

Sounds like our setup. Not very big plots at all. Riverbottom ground with lots of oaks. Due to timing we planted winter wheat. We have also planted a shade grass and oats. Grass and oats were flooded out after turkey season. Winter wheat was planted late summer.

Woody - Those are some awesome food plots. Where is your farm and can hunt it too!

Top Bottom