Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fall Food Plot

I was wondering if I could get some direction on what to plant for a fall plot. This summer I cleared out an area that is about 30x30 yards out of a small patch of spruce trees on the edge of mature hardwoods. This patch was mostly short grasses and scrub trees, I cleared out all the trees and hit the grass with roundup. The grass is still mostly dead and very little vegetation has grown back in the area. I am looking to plant something relatively simple as I have no farming experience whatsoever. I will also not be able to get any equipment in there except for a backpack sprayer and small garden tiller. Also, this will be my first food plot and I am on my own.

What kind of plot should I be looking at planting this late in the season? I have heard that brassicas and oats can be good late but am unsure. The area also gets a decent amount of sun, I would say at least 4-5 hours a day. I should also note that the land I am planting it on his 2.5 hours from where I live so the plot needs to be relatively low maintenance as I am only back there about every 6 weeks. Any help and tips from those more experienced than me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Top Bottom