Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fat flatty

Skully

PMA Member
Got a chance to hit the river a few weeks ago and had some luck. Biggest went 22 1/2 lbs but looked like we had a real monster on but lost her before we got to our pole. :(

picture.php

Thats a good one Congrats.Looks like the kid in the background is getting ready to kill something.

Love them things, I'll trade you a day of muskie fishing for a day of flatty fishing.... :grin:

I'd trade you a case of beer for running some flathead lines, that sounds like a freaking blast.

A friend and I put in on the Des Moines river friday night and did pretty good for the water being up. We put in at the Vandallia ramp for those of you that know the area and went up. We rod and reel fish only. Nothing huge but we got a 15,10,8,8,8,6,and 5lbers. All in all it was a good night. Thats a darn nice one in the photo. Congrats.

Man I would love to catch those big flat heads on a fishing pole. How do you do it? A big sinker and a bluegill through the fin? I really want to try this soon..... I love cat fishing but always wanted to catch a big fatty.

Man I would love to catch those big flat heads on a fishing pole. How do you do it? A big sinker and a bluegill through the fin? I really want to try this soon..... I love cat fishing but always wanted to catch a big fatty.

No kidding! Next time I'm back home visiting family in the summer time, someone needs to take me!

Alot of guys target the holes in a river system. But I rarely fish them unless its a long clean stretch. What to look for is the biggest,nastiest log jams you can find preferably in somewhat slack water. Theyre easier to keep the baits in place verses fast current. I use a penn 309 levelwind with 80lb big game line on a 7' medium heavy tiger rod made by shakespear. Only shakespear rod worth owning in my opinion. I primarily use the biggest chubs I can find 10"-12"ers when possible. Also big suckers,bullheads,green ears. Throw it as close to the wood as possible and set the clicker on the reel and kick back. We almost never fish a spot more than an hour before we move.If theres one in there they find it pretty quick usually. If you hit one give it more time there,often times we will pull several out of a big log jam. Dont let them run very far when they hit or they will get you ran in there and hung up. If that happens one of the ways we get them out is to get as close a possible to them then turn a spotlight on aimed at your line. 9 times out of 10 the flathead will freak out and rip himself loose of the snag but then hang on, especially if its a big one! I tournament fish walleyes alot and sold my flatbottom a few years back when I was putting my tournament rig together. I would be more than happy to show guys where and how but I dont have the boat anymore.

I'd trade you a case of beer for running some flathead lines, that sounds like a freaking blast.

Muddy come on down sometime, I have a boat and a cabin on the Des moines river and hell we can even road trip 15 min and be in Skully territory. Boat that floats, good fishing and cold brews sounds like a good time.
Boat that floats is the most important though

At least with your offer I am guaranteed to catch something. "A buzz" :drink1: How about a weekend Iowa Whitetail cat-fishing tourney or gathering? Our section of the Skunk is really low right now and tough to navigate in a big Jon boat but we could all decide on a location. I know I would be game. :way:
And P.S., the biggest fish we caught were all on bullheads. Several nice channel cats on sunfish. ;)

How about a weekend Iowa Whitetail cat-fishing tourney or gathering? Our section of the Skunk is really low right now and tough to navigate in a big Jon boat but we could all decide on a location. I know I would be game. :way:
And P.S., the biggest fish we caught were all on bullheads. Several nice channel cats on sunfish. ;)

Hell Yea! That would be great!!!:drink2:

How about a weekend Iowa Whitetail cat-fishing tourney or gathering? Our section of the Skunk is really low right now and tough to navigate in a big Jon boat but we could all decide on a location. I know I would be game. :way:

THAT would be fun! I'm in!

In my opinion if you target the smaller rivers you up your odds on catching the bigger ones, find the big holes and your bound to find the big fish :grin::grin::grin:. Thats an awesome fish skully nothing better than running diddy poles especially when your catching some nice fish.

2zejmf7.jpg

Top Bottom