Favorite Muzzleloader loads

Discussion in 'Muzzleloading and Traditional Archery' started by bplate, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Shredder

Shredder Life Member

The Blackhorn 209 and 250gr Barnes T-MZ bullets/sabots have done really well for me on accuracy and super clean.

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. DoubleDropTines

DoubleDropTines Member

Ryan, How many grains are you shooting?

4. oldgene

oldgene PMA Member

I'm a little late on this subject, but my Omega likes 100 grains of triple 7, with a TC shockwave 250.

5. cedar creek

cedar creek Banned

150 grains of triple 7 behind a 300gr XTP 45 cal Hornady, and Harvester 50 cal sabot in a 50 cal Austin Halleck. It will drive tacks at 100 yds, but it's a heavy gun to carry.

6. Iowabowtech

Iowabowtech New Member

Sorry Skully, didn't see this until the thread got reborn. Yep, I made the switch a few years ago and it is like a night and day difference.

7. Nontypcl1

Nontypcl1 Member

Did a lot of shooting at the range recently and was messin around with some different loads for my T/C omega. I ended up settling on one that was giving me sub 1" groups every time at 100yds. 100gr blackhorn 209 with 250gr Barnes TMZ spitfire ignited with a winchester shotshell primer. I shot 4, 3 shot groups with each hole overlapping. To say the least I was definately pleased with the accuracy.:) Also shot a couple good groups with 100gr Triple7 ffg with 250gr bonded shockwave with the black sabot and a fiocchi primer. Good groups with that load but not near as tight as the BH209 and Barnes TMZ. I also shot a few with Precision Dead Center 240gr with the blackhorn 209 and liked it as well but I think I need to mess around a little more with the charge to tighten up the groups a little. The thing I like most about the Precision DC is that they are supposed to only drop 4-5" from 100-200yds, while the barnes drop around 10" out of my omega.

8. Hardcorehunter

Hardcorehunter UL Shelter/Stove Geek

My 50 cal CVA optima pro loves 90 gr of Triple 7 with a Hornady sabot 45-250 gr SST

9. treerat

treerat Member

I am shooting this same gun/powder/bullet combo and find that it takes a lot of force to load the barrel, even when completely clean. I will not even try loading it with less than 5 patches through it first.

For those of you that shoot this load, do you find the T/C superglide (yellow) sabots to be easier than the standard black ones?

10. Nontypcl1

Nontypcl1 Member

The superglides do load a bit easier but I never liked them much. Try running a seasoning patch down the barrel. It definitely makes loading much easier. You could also try one of these spin adapters

http://www.maxmuzzleloader.com/productsAccessoriesUSA.html

They let the sabot spin with the rifling of the barrel. It seems to make cleaning easier and loading my barnes spitfire much better

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  11. JNRBRONC

JNRBRONC Moderator

Here's a similar product: http://www.spinjag.com/index.php

I have one. At one time, it was thought that having the bullet spin with the rifling as it was seated would help accuracy, but from what I've heard, people found it doesn't help that much. If it makes loading easier, that's a good thing, too!

12. gundog870

gundog870 Premium Platinum Member

Just curious, when you guys say your satisfied with your groups what is that. I switched to an omega this year with 150 gr of 777 and 250 gr shockwaves, I am about an inch high at 100yards and 1/2 inch-1 inch low at 150 yards. I have found that if I turn my scope to 12X and put the top of my bottom post I am on at 200 yards.

BUT my groups are 2 inches or so, maybe a touch bigger at times, seems good enough for me. Would you be satisfied.

13. JNRBRONC

JNRBRONC Moderator

2 inch groups at 100 or 200 yards?

For me, a two inch group at 100 yards would be adequate for 99% of my hunting. Just the way I set up. I would want to improve it, though.

14. Nontypcl1

Nontypcl1 Member

2" groups at 200yds I would be satisfied. If I was shotting 2" groups at 100yds I'd probably be tweaking my load to improve the accuracy even though thats a small enough group to kill a whitetail.

I found that my omega doesn't shoot 150grains very accurately but is easily capable of 1/2" groups at 100yds when shotting 100-110grains. I've shot quite a few different loads through my omega and have seen my best groups with 100gr Blackhorn 209 with a 250gr barnes spitfire TMZ or a 240gr Precision Dead Center. Each gun is different though. If your want to tighten up your groups it just takes a little experimenting with different loads.

15. sethgade280

sethgade280 New Member

I use the 209 Blackhorn lose powder with a 250 gr. shockwave and CCI magnum primers. The lose powder gives you much more accuracy. Tried tons of different loads and I can say that this takes the cake. 250 yds I am 18 inches low, and at 200 I hold right at the top of back with no air in scope. The recoil is nicer too. use a scale to weigh powder, don't just pour to a marked line. I found this isn't the way to go......no kidding right?

16. Shovelbuck

Shovelbuck Active Member

17. Hardcorehunter

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  18. Shovelbuck

Shovelbuck Active Member

Thanks for doing that HC. It's easy to see that way. That would be an awful hot load if a person weighed out 100 grains!

19. Hardcorehunter

:way::way::way::way::way:

20. sethgade280

sethgade280 New Member

Good point SB. Thanks for clarifying that. I weigh the powder at 85 grs....i believe it is 140 grs by volume. Dont weigh out 150 grs of loose powder.