Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fawn Survival Study

Fishbonker

Life Member
Link to an Iowa study on fawn survival: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0229242

Interesting paper, lots of jargon that was hard for me to wade through. A couple of my thoughts follow:

The study area was in and around Ledges State Park. It breaks down habitat percentages between wood land, grass land, crop areas and residential areas. To me the study area isn't all that representative of the rest of Iowa.

The study was done in 2015-2017, they captured 48 fawns, the highest mortality (overall) was disease with EHD being responsible for the majority of fawn deaths due to disease (2016). The different diseases are broken down in the study as well as the periods of date from capture.

If I read the paper correctly the home/core area is a lot smaller than I would have anticipated but again they are in an area that isn't necessarily representative of the rest of Iowa.

Again, if I read it correctly they only had two sets of twins. I would have expected a much higher rate of twins. An interesting corollary would be survival of fawn twins where only twins were captured and followed or at least enough of a general study so the results could be parceled out.

Other things I learned about deer that the study wasn't about, the study has three separate time frames that encompasses the three phases of fawn growth, from hider to hider follower to follower. It was interesting to see the time intervals that encompassed each phase. Pretty commonsensical when I think about it but it is affirmation of something I thought about. Some other studies with capturing fawns in other states implant a vaginal tracking device that gets expelled when the fawn is born which quickly leads the team to the "drop zone". It increases capture rates but also increases the cost. The Iowa study used grid search during high fawning times.

Anyway, I though it was interesting. Nothing ground breaking but take a look and draw your own conclusions. What else have you got to do?

My HDL (Honey Do List) is finally lower than my HDL (High Density Lipoproteins). First time ever. Stress of an elevated HDL causes a reduction in my HDL. I keep telling my wife if she wants me to live longer she needs to reduce my HDL to increase my HDL which will decrease my cholesterol. I wonder if there is a connection between the bacon and Spam sammich she made me for lunch and the new HDL she came up with while frying the bacon and Spam? Good sammich though.

Fried Spam and bacon sandwich? Sounds fantastic! Will have to try it at the cabin in 2022 when we will finally be released from virus lockdown. I would also add fried onions and a slice of cheese. And Mayo with a slice of tomato and lettuce on crisp, toasted Texas toast. Damn, drool on my keyboard.

Fried Spam and bacon sandwich? Sounds fantastic! Will have to try it at the cabin in 2022 when we will finally be released from virus lockdown. I would also add fried onions and a slice of cheese. And Mayo with a slice of tomato and lettuce on crisp, toasted Texas toast. Damn, drool on my keyboard.

Why would you ruin a perfectly good sammich with vegetables? Tainted tomatoes? Lousy lettuce? Fetid fried onions? That "stuff" is only good for one thing, ands that's to feed the pig the next bacon and Spam sammich is coming from.

Time for super. Tonight the wife is fixing my favorite, three pounds of beer battered french fries cooked in canola oil, smothered with melted cheese curds then covered in bacon crumbles with a half gallon of extra fatty gravy on the side. I worked up quite an appetite this afternoon. My HDL included carrying two 5 gallon buckets full of water up from the basement. This is the third time this week I've carried all those buckets up from the basement. I fill the buckets from a spigot in the basement, carry them up from the basement to the master bathroom, dump them out in the shower and repeat ten times. I ask my wife why she wants me to do this seemingly useless work. She gets a faraway look in her eye and offers me a chunk of lard that's been breaded with Himalayan pink rock salt and deep fat fried, on a stick.

My wife braved getting the corona to go to the pharmacy get my cholesterol meds. The bottle she brought home didn't have a label on it, she said the pharmacy ran out of ink for their printer. I took one of the pills last night and it tasted as sweet as sugar. The pill was a different shape and texture than normal. I sure hope this corona thing lasts forever. I can tell my wife feels the same way.

Top Bottom