Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

fedral bor loc mz

Rich77

Does anyone have any first hand experience with these? Guess I live under a rock and am more than happy with my Barnes bullets but these look like the real deal. I heard about them for the first time last night

http://www.ammoland.com/2015/06/federal-trophy-copper-mz-muzzleloading-bullet/#axzz3u2ihPUZc

Haven't much about them but after a little research i see why.
Im going to stick to my Barnes they are proven.

Im always skeptical when they are bragging how easy they are to load, That tells me they fit a little loose in the barrel and are depending on the cup at the bottom of the bullet to expand similar to the powerbelt design. My experience with bullets of that design is the plastic cup doesnt like to expand when its cold and it results in sub par performance at best.
Ive shot lot of bullets and love my Barnes, its going to take a hell of a bullet to get me to change.

That was my #1 deal, the ease of loading... I've heard alot of horror stories of powerbelts that separate from the powder. Not good.
I don't have a single bad thing to say about Barnes these just looked interesting

They are very accurate out of ML barrels .500 or .501, have not tried them in anything larger, they do load easy and shoot very accurate, If you are going to shoot 90 gr to 110 gr of powder, 125 yards is max for them to open up, past that yardage to 200 yards they do not open up unless you plan on shooting 130 gr of powder, then they will open up, and kick like a mule.

If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.... just when ya think you have found the perfect bullet. I know Barnes work from 11-221 yards so that's what I'll keep using

Best part was, they say they are a 200 yard bullet, called and talked to them and they said they never tested them at 200 yards, the computer program they use show it would work, but never tried it.

I had a friend of mine grab some yesterday and try them. Three different guns at 100 yards and they couldn't get a 3 shot group smaller than a baseball at 100 yards.
Also noted that they load entirely too easy to be safe in their opinion

They have 2 different ones, 1 is the 270 gr that I have tested that is copper, I used a CVA MR with a .500 barrel and a Optima that had a .501 barrel, I loaded them up with a charge in both guns and turned them up side down, and used some carpet on a board to check if they would come off the powder, on the MR not enough to worry unless you would carry your gun up side down, the Optima with the .501 barrel there was a difference and you would need to check it when you got to your tree stand or blind.
Now they have a 350 gr lead bullet and so far the reviews that I have seen, not good.
If you have a tight barrel they seem to work great, My problem is, have not been able to get them to open up past 125 yards shooting 110 gr of BH 209.
To many other good bullets out there.
This is my 2 cents about them.

Like Rich77 said ive had the barnes work flawlessly from 5-200 yards and open every time even when the boys were shooting 50gr during youth season.
CVAdave that would be a little scary if the bullets actually come unseated when the gun is carried barrel down.

That's why I said, unless you carried in barrel down, you would need to check to see if the bullet came off the powder. First off you would be asking for a lot of trouble if you did carry it that way. I Myself would never carry it that way. and like I said earlier, there are to many better bullets out there, Barnes, PT GOLDS, Parker's BE's, Hornady, are some I shoot out of my ML and out of my SML.

Top Bottom