Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fencing

gundog870

Premium Platinum Member
Looking for a ball park estimate, what would say 1 side of a 40 acre section cost to have someone install a barb wire fence?

b1-75tbl1_2.gif

b1-75tbl3_4.gif

Quick access to the table.

I just noticed that they did not allow for prep. Unless it is clear, you will have loader, dozer time to clear the area.

I know that the labor all over the place, but this gives me a good idea. I certainly wouldn't be climbing the hills that I need to fence for $15 an hour, I can promise that. I would also assume that they wouldn't use any wood posts in the area that I need fencing, because it will likely all be done by hand.

Again, I don't know, but am guessing.

I to custom fencing for a living and its costing around 2500-2600 a quarter for standard 5 steel and a hedge 5 wire. . Labor included with no gates. I get a buck a foot labor

I'm going to hyjack this thread. Reading up on Iowa fence law https://www.calt.iastate.edu/system/files/CALT Legal Brief - Iowa Fence Law.pdf

My neighbor, boarders just one side of a square, wants to replace the existing fence to move his cattle in (currently leased out with cattle there already). I'm not sure if I fall into the "right hand rule" where i'm responsible for maintaining/replacing half or if I don't have to do anything because he's "fencing-in" his cattle (I don't have livestock). I don't think the fence is sub-par anyways, personally... Is there anything else more informal that usually solves these problems?

I'm going to hyjack this thread. Reading up on Iowa fence law https://www.calt.iastate.edu/system/files/CALT Legal Brief - Iowa Fence Law.pdf

My neighbor, boarders just one side of a square, wants to replace the existing fence to move his cattle in (currently leased out with cattle there already). I'm not sure if I fall into the "right hand rule" where i'm responsible for maintaining/replacing half or if I don't have to do anything because he's "fencing-in" his cattle (I don't have livestock). I don't think the fence is sub-par anyways, personally... Is there anything else more informal that usually solves these problems?

I don't know if this carries over to other counties or not...but the county I am in has "Fence Trustees" and if memory serves, the "right hand rule" is what they go by. I would recommend contacting your county administration, as I think fence law varies from county to county.

Found an old thread on here too where something similar was discussed. Never would have though about contacting the conservation office for cost share, will check that out for details. BTW, I'm not disgruntled. I've just want my ducks in a row :)

You are responsible for half of the partition fence of the border. It's BS, I know! Generally, most people go by the right hand rule, however, that isnt really set in stone. You can come to an agreement with that particular landowner with something different. Now, you said he wants to replace the existing fence. If it can hold cattle still, I wouldnt piss with it. It's just your job to maintain it so the cattle dont get on your side. If his cattle get onto your property because you didnt maintain your half and cause damage, you cant do crap about it. I HATE CATTLE. Some of these cattle farmers (like my neighbor) just want new fence all the time. But, they also get to claim it on their income taxes. We don't.

His suggestion was that I pay for all the material and he'll do the labor himself. I'd say he's getting a pretty good deal since he had a dozer already for clearing on his side. It's not rough terrain by any means either. To your point, it has been holding cattle just fine...my half however crosses a ditch and I know I'll be having to maintain that too open with how it washes out so bad in there. Whatever gentlemen's agreement we come to, I'm going to try to work in some long-term hunting rights on this side of the fence...some decent travel from ag to bedding through the corner of the pasture ground. Some of its a hedge thicket that he's tearing out which stinks though

One thing I try to do when new fence is needed is be there when it is dozed. A clear path is needed but 20 feet wide will get it. Some will clear 100 wide so no tree will ever fall on the fence. On a few projects where I had my own dozer there I offered to clear the neighbors side which they thought was great I would ask if they wanted any trees left answer is always no take them all. I would remove any potential stand trees close to the fence. Make some good points with the Nieghbor and never have to worry about fence sitters.

His suggestion was that I pay for all the material and he'll do the labor himself. I'd say he's getting a pretty good deal since he had a dozer already for clearing on his side. It's not rough terrain by any means either. To your point, it has been holding cattle just fine...my half however crosses a ditch and I know I'll be having to maintain that too open with how it washes out so bad in there. Whatever gentlemen's agreement we come to, I'm going to try to work in some long-term hunting rights on this side of the fence...some decent travel from ag to bedding through the corner of the pasture ground. Some of its a hedge thicket that he's tearing out which stinks though

I would say you are getting the deal. You don't have to do the work you clearly don't want to do. Part of owning land. We have had to fence our share in areas we have no cattle. Beats chasing cows around. Once cows find they can get out, its tough to keep them in with a subpar fence.

Top Bottom