Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

fertilizer

jhertel

PMA Member
Just wondering where u guys get ur fertilizer or what u use? I'm in north central Iowa looking for some for a clover plot...what numbers u usually get

Just wondering where u guys get ur fertilizer or what u use? I'm in north central Iowa looking for some for a clover plot...what numbers u usually get

I get mine from a local fertilizer company. The label is wrote in numbers but stands for Nitrogen - Phosphorus - Potassium (in that order). The numbers are percentages of those products in that particular fertilizer. Your individual soil test will tell you exactly what fertilizer you need. Since clover makes its own nitrogen but needs phosphorus and potassium, a fertilizer like 6-24-24 will do you good. Also use low nitrogen because grass thrives on nitrogen so you don't want to be feeding grass. If you didn't get a soil test, a good amount would probably be 300lbs of 6-24-24 per acre. I will also recommend that if your trying to grow a great plot, make sure the ph level is correct! I see/hear lots of guys adding fertilizer but no lime. In my opinion adding lime is way more important than adding fertilizer. If the soil ph is way off fertilizer won't do you much good anyway.

Last edited:
I just picked up all of my fertilizer for the year from Golden Furrow fertilizer in Agency, IA (I think they have locations all over the state). They are able to mix you up whatever mixture of N-P-K that you need (I would suggest getting a soil test so you don't have to buy more then what you need) and were very reasonably priced.

Also, I 2nd the importance of lime. Acidic soil will prevent your clover from utilizing the fertilizer that you put down. Lime is extremely cheap compared to fertilizer...

Clover isn't too hard to please. If you want to skip a soil test, just winging it - put equiv of a 200-350 lbs of 6-24-24 and 100-150 lbs of pellitized lime. Likely you aren't getting it perfect but it'll be fine

Unless its total crap soil i wouldnt waste ur money on fertilizer for clover, stuff will grow on about anything

Top Bottom