Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Field Report

miff007

I have not seen a field report started for this season, so here it is! Our group is having a tough start most of the corn is still standing. Have seen very little activity to date few little bucks cruising and some does. Hoping the next week brings the crops out and gets Big boys on their feet.Seeing new scrapes pop up, but not much daytime activity as of yet...

Any updates from fellow members is welcome and wanted.

What are you seeing? What is working for you? Any suggestions to fellow hunters?

Thanks in advance!

My deer sighting has all but come to a stand still.Hunted hard this weekend with little movements.I did see a 150 sat night following a group of does around a alphalfa field.Not chasing,just feeding with them closely.No responses to any calling except a casual look in my direction.My rubs seem to have dried up as well with nothing fresh.Scrapes seem to be tended,but must be after dark.I'm getting nervous,I've only got the next 2 weeks off.

Saw some new rubs on a all the small trees. Did have a small buck push a couple of does with head to ground tonight at dusk. Kind of neet to here him grunt to them. Had a 150 class as well on Sat. morning walking throug the timber at 8:30 A.M.

Went out yesterday evening and then I sat till about 11:30 this morning. Had a few small bucks running around and hitting some scrapes but no chasing yet. They sure seem to be getting excited though. So I figure the next two weeks will be great hunting. Also had a few small bucks come into rattling in the mornings.

to the scrape comment.... we have seen a S#%T LOAD of scrapes this year!!!! we have 12 along one side of our foodplot that is only 100 yards long!!!! we even have some up in our yard under our fruit trees down at the farm!!! there is soooo much deer sign this year for us!!!

I had a great Saturday morning with the decoy!!! I had 4 nice bucks come in to it but decided to pass being one of my first few times out this year unfortunately. And next weekend should be good too so i passed. But I was able to get them all on video camera... one straight underneath of me and then he walked over to the decoy all puffed up and everything. It was really neat to watch all the bucks do it.

And all the bucks i called in this weekend... were with the Primos Buck Growl (but i used the grunt with it instead of the growl). i actually scared a buck away with a rattle and he was 300 yards away so im negative for rattling. dad did well with it but my favorite call is grunting. it worked well for me. try that you guys!!! most guys dont and maybe thats why it worked so well for me. also i bleated a buck in to me too.

but with the full moon... not many deer were moving after 8 am for me. hopefully next weekend will be better. and with the rut starting then..... oh boy i cant wait!!!!

does my story correlate with other peoples??? and has anybody seen any chasing yet??

I hunted South Central Iowa most of the weekend with little activity outside the first half hour of light and last 15 minutes of light. When the sun went down the fields filled up quickly. I rattled in 4 or 5 bucks with the biggest being a three year old 140's 8. Had a two year old saturday morning come in as hard as he could mad at the world. All in all a fun weekend as I have had little oppurtunity to sit this year. With some of the deer I have seen shot latley a guy wants to be out there as much as possible for the next three to four weeks. Only one way to kill them and that's being there!

Went out saturday morening and saw 5 does. Not much activity at all. Rattled 3 times with no luck. My guess would be because of the full moon. Next week and the first week of rifle season should be GREAT.

I don't think the rut is really full swing but real close. Sat last night for a while. Called in two bucks a smaller eight and the biggest buck I have ever seen from a stand. A 160-170" twelve that stood broadside at 25yds behind tree limbs! Needless to say we didn't ride home together. If the best is yet to come I can't wait. Vacation next week and the following week!!!!!

The assessment around the area I hunt is the same as above. LOTS OF CORN still standing. The younger bucks are moving like mad, getting hit along I-80 and major highways, and there are a crap ton of scrapes.

Plenty of does still hitting the alfalfa fields and some of them will becoming into estrus real soon (maybe end of this week)...hopefully that will get the big boys up and moving.

I shot two does this past weekend and one of them had a little light brown starting to show on the tarsal gland with a little smell so she probably wasn't too far off. The other one was with her twin-doe yearlings and was still holding a bunch of milk in her "sack".

It's not far off now, and it will only take that "ONE" doe to walk by the "target-buck" to get him up and moving. I have this Friday off, plus Monday and Tuesday...I'm going to be hitting it hard.

Small guys are looking for love and harassing the hell out of the does. Look like teenagers at a high school dance. Hitting on everything but going home a little blue .....

Man you guys gotta spice this up...didn't I teach you anything last year

More to this then big bucks...share some of God's wonders...that most don't get to see if they don't wake up in the woods /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

10-29Sunrise.jpg

Steaks on the hoof!

Steaksonthehoof.jpg

A well placed Gold Tip and Rocket Hammer head (wicked!)

GoldTip.jpg

Hard to see...but another one down!

Notheronedown.jpg

and another forced weaning! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Forcedwean.jpg

Great activity in the mornings, lot's of scrapes and fresh rubs!

Hunting Times

Have fun out there..but be careful! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Well I left early the other day from home and made the 11 hour drive to the south central Iowa, area. It was 3 pm so I packed in my stand,tree trimmer and decoy and headed to the back of a cut soybean field and found a good tree in the corner next to an uncut corn field with a creek to my back.4:30 the decoy is out in front of me and I'm comfortably in my API stand.
At about 6:00 I snort weezed and then went to rattling and grunting. About 10 min later I hear foot steps and out from the creek walks one ticked off huge bodied 5x5 that I'd guess would go 145-150 thick and wide. He heads straight for the decoy all stiff legged and he walks completely around it that way then stands face to face with it with his ears still pinned back. I'm thinking "man is he going to cream this thing!" But he doesn't, he just stands there stareing it down for a minute or so then walks off, pretty darn cool to see! I was kicking myself for leaving my video camera in the vehicle! What a great start to my trip, wouldn't it be nice if it was always that easy like that. And who knows I may not even see anything larger all week, but that alone made the trip worth while!
Not many deer moving where I'm at during shooting light anyways.
Still a lot of corn standing and the bean fields are muddy as well. Sure wish it would cool down about 30 degrees!

good luck!

Crisp and clear here in WV this morning. Moonlight made the woods pretty bright going in. Bumped one deer walking in to my stand. Got settled at 6:30. First time I had been in this tree this year. No wind, sunny, still too many leaves for my liking. No deer movement whatsoever. One raccoon and five gray squirrels were the only critters scurrying about. Sat until 12:00, and came home as my youngest has an ear infection and my wife needed a break. Be back after them next week.

Very little doe movement this morning.I had 6 different basket racks come take a look at the buck decoy.The biggest of the group did put on a show walking sideways to the decoy with his hair stood on end.I sat till 11:00 with last deer sighting at 9:00.

Had a lot of buck movement today,both morning and evening.I saw 2 shooters this morning and 1 tonight.Also got greedy and passed on a small doe for the bigger doe behind her.The small one came right to my 21" stand and licked my rope while waiting on the other doe.As soon as the big doe got in range the little one looked right at me until the big momma came to her.Then they both just stared up at me for 2 min before deciding it was a bad place to be.Never got to pull the bow back.Tomorrow should be much better with the winds slowing.

Well things came together this morning. This guy came in from behind me, with the wind I never even heard him until he grunted twice. So I turned around slowly and there he stood 10 yards away ears pinned back glaring at the decoy, then he started scraping the ground with his hoof. There was plenty of light as it was right at 8:00 so I got a very good look at him. I knew he wasn't a scoring machine but I could tell by the size of his body and his thick bases and messed up rack that he was an old monarch. I've always wanted to take an old gnarly buck and when he walked passed me on the way to the decoy at 12 yds everything went into automatic, Heck I don't even remember getting my bow off the hanger or attaching my release. The next thing I do remember was making a sound to get him to stop and putting my pin on his shoulder and sending a slick trick on its way.
He took off down the middle of the field and piled up about 150 yds smack dab in the middle, no tracking on this day!
The coolest part about him is that his left base is almost 8 1/2 inches around! His right G2 is 12" and the one on his left is busted off about 3/4 of the way up, and both main beams curve up.
Talk about character!
What a great hunt!
Here's how he laid, if you look close you can see the decoy in the far left. This was the first deer I've shot with the slick trick heads. I thought I'd get a little better penetration, but it did do the "trick" I guess!
Howhelaidemail.jpg

downemail.jpg

olehoggeremail.jpg

It took me all I had to get him hoisted up into the nearest tree so I could go to work on him, what a gorgeous animal and a huge body to boot!
bigbodyemail.jpg

Here's one of those gnarly bases!
bigbaseemail.jpg

bigbasetapeemail.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Waukon1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

My favorite is the one as he was found.
</div></div>

I agree!!!

Top Bottom