Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fighting Toms

bowmaker

Last night on the way home from work I saw a first for me. As I came arround a corner in the road I saw a few turkeys in a planted feild. There was a big tom breeding a hen as I stopped to watch another tom came racing out of the timber and knocked the first tom clear off his feet. The lady was forgotten and the fight was on. They screeched and pecked and spurred for about 10 minutes while the group of hens kept milling arround. Finally one of the toms ran off while the other went into a strut and stomped off after him. The hens then followed them both back into the timber. This all took place about 30 yards off the road and with my truck running all the time. The birds all acted like I wasn't even there. This was the first time I had even seen a fight much less all the rest. I wondered if anyone else has seen such drama in the woods.

I did once, and it was a truly amazing experience, i thought i would sneak into this public area i never hunted before i set up overlooking a small grass field there was 2 gobblers accrossed the field gobbling their heads off in the roost then i heard them fly down on each side of the field, then they got quiet. pretty soon i heard a ruckus and i seen a bird flopping around absolutely nuts, kind of like after you shoot one with a bow, then i noticed another bird flopping around with it, they were in a full out battle, it went on for about five minutes and it was extrememly noisy, then one must of got the upper hand because one of them took out running accrossed the field and the other was in close pursuit behind it chasing him, they went in the woods and i never seen them again, wish i would of been smarter and put the sneak on them while they were fighting, but i enjoyed watching them fight just as much as harvesting one of them
smile.gif

Top Bottom