Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Final Legislation Report for 2004

katy

Ballagh
Here is the final legislation report that I recieved at the IBA meeting today. Below is what the Governor signed and vetoed relating to hunting:

HF 2186 Unlawful Deer Damages GOVERNOR SIGNED

HF 2366 Visible Hunters GOVERNOR SIGNED

HF 2393 Shooting Ranges/Public Hunting Areas GOVERNOR SIGNED

HF 2432 Landowner Deer Licenses GOVERNOR VETOED

SF 2213 Hunting Fishing License Revocation GOVERNOR SIGNED

HF 2515 Deer Farms GOVERNOR VETOED

If you need a better description of these bills, I think I put them in another legislative post on the site. Let us know if you have any other questions. We are always looking for area reps in the IBA, please let elkhunter or myself know if you are intrested.
Thank you,

As everybody knows, I'm way denser than most folks on this site, except for Muddy that is. I followed the link above and tried to read through the bills, man I might as well be reading Russian. HF2186 I understood, the bigger the deer the bigger the fine. HF2366 was also pretty easy, now bird hunters have to wear orange. HF2393 is somewhat a mystery to me. Does it mean if there is an existing shooting range/public hunting it can't be pushed out by development and a new range cannot be built closer than 200yards to existing development? HF2432 had so many different tennents, family members etc. along with quarters and such listed I am still confused but I think it boils down to late season tags and unit size, do I have this one right? HF2515 was confusing too. Does it mean you can hunt deer year round if they are privately owned? Does it change control of the deer from DNR to Ag? SF2213 was not too bad, if I got this one right it means if you bounce the check you used to get your license, it is revoked?

I looked and didn't find the other threads about this years legislature. Can you (IBA reps) say weather IBA supported any or all of the bills and what impact they were ment to have on hunting in Iowa?

Thanks

The 'Bonker

Fish Will try to answer ?'s
Really thought HF 2186 and 2213 were tied together,if you didn't pay fine in full license would be revoked.Will go to Legislative website and read that one.IBA supported full payment
2393 There was a shooting range & public area they wanted shut down.In a nutshell you can't build a new home or development next to these existing areas and expect to have them closed,mainly the 200 yd rule.Good law
2432More free tags would have meant more loss revenue for DNR.Really was a money issue.Gov. vetoed and IBA supported Gov.
2515 Game Farms wanted to be able to shoot deer in any size enclosure,canned hunt.Not the image we want to show for hunting. Also wanted free hand to move deer.
Just a bad law.Gov veto
I'm not very good at explaining things,but hope this helps a little.

There was a bill introduced that would have suspended your hunting/fishing license privilege until liquidated damages were paid in full, however, it died. The bill you are referring to has nothing to do with paying liquidated damages.

Doug Clayton

State Conservation Officer

-Bonker

watch what you say about me, i have those climbinb sticks and i'm not afraid to keep 'em.
wink.gif

Elkhunter: thanks for the follow up. If I wasn't so lazy could I have found this info on the IBA site?

Muddy: I am ever so sorry to have cast any aspurtions what so ever on either your deeply rooted and massive inteligence or your extremly handsome looks. May I forever walk in your shadow and grovel at your feet. I am not worthy to eat the swill that your fatted hogs will not consume. That should about do it eh?

The 'Bonker

aye, that will do nicely. maybe sunday i can unload those big pieces of metal from my garage.
waytogo.gif

Let's not forget that this was just the new legislation and that the DNR has the flexibility to make changes to license availibility. I spoke with a DNR representative yesterday who said that there have been significant changes made, in particular the number of antlerless licenses has been increased. I can't wait to read the new regs to see the changes.

Jnrbronc - Last friday I had a half hour conversations with Richard Bishop about some of the current issues facing the dnr, state, and hunters right now. We talked about some of the problems, possible solutions, what;s ahead in the future, and what went wrong in the past. He is supposed to be getting me a letter explaining in detail what we discussed over the phone, to share with everyone on I.W. I would rather wait to post his letter, than to try and discuss it second hand. The DNR and Mr. Bishop will be on hand at the second leg of the IBA shoot-out in Indianola July 17-18. They will be more than happy to anwser any questions and to discuss in depth any topic. They will also have rules and regs books to hand out to everyone.
Thanks,
Chad

It's always best to have the facts in front of you. From my discussion with the DNR officer, I thought I heard him say that 30,000 additional antlerless only licenses would be available this year. I didn't want to throw that number out in case I heard him wrong, but the Farm Bureau Spokesman cited the same figure in yesterdays edition. Still, it will be prudent to see the '04-'05 deer hunting regulations.

I just got all the new info this weekend. I have not had a chance to read throught it as of yet. I will try to get through it this week and let everyone know how it looks.
Thanks

Top Bottom