Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Finally!

HorseDoctor

PMA Member
First couple days were frustrating. Monday AM had a hen & 3 jakes check out the DS Jake decoy. Heard nothing at all, which seemed strange for a perfectly beautiful morning.

Tuesday AM on another farm heard lots of tree talk and even some after fly down. All of the gobbling went the other direction. Couple different times I heard hens talking in the heavy brush close behind me but nothing came in view.

This AM, back at first place near the Ledges. Lots of tree talk everywhere. Closest couple gobblers went the other way. I just sat & called a little hoping they would come back. About 7:30 I looked over my shoulder to see a tom 140 yards behind me strutting my way in a mowed strip in the CRP. Figured "game on", until a hen walked out of the tall grass & led him the other direction. At first I was discouraged after actually seeing a long beard not connecting. Then I convinced myself that maybe he would remember where I was and come back after the hen was bred. After an hour and a half of silence I look over my shoulder again and low & behold he's back strutting in the mowed strip again. After a couple of light yelps on my pink FinBonz call, he starts working my way. (Thanks Finney, will send bones your way) At about 80 yards he sees Pretty Boy and commits. I had switched back to the strutter from the jake just to change my luck. Anyway at 40 yards I couldn't take it any more so I let the "Big 10" speak & sent 2 1/2 oz #7 hevishot his way. Season 1 over at 9:00 AM. Decent 25# bird with 1" spurs & 9 1/2 inch beard. For all the strutting, he never did make a sound. Now he never will, at least until FinBonz converts his wings to calls... :D

Top Bottom