Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First Iowa Buck

Thought I would share.. I moved to Iowa 3 years ago, and have been slowly been getting permission on better properties, getting a little more time to hunt, and I finally connected on my first Iowa buck earlier this season.

I was really wanting to kill a doe or two early in the season to put some meat in the freezer, so October 1st, I called a guy I know who has some alfalfa fields and a small turnip plot and asked him if I could hunt his place. He said I could go the next day, so I went out and glassed it that evening. Around 7 o'clock, I watched 2 smaller bucks, this buck (which I estimated at 130"), and about a dozen does come out into the field. I didn't think the buck was a shooter, so I didn't get too worked up about him, but I was excited to have a place with a bunch of does feeding.

On Friday, I took off work about an hour early to make sure I got into the stand plenty early, and was settled in by 4:30. At about 6:30, one of the smaller basket 8 pointers came out to the field edge about 100 yards away, and kept looking back into the timber behind him so I just watched to see what was coming behind him. 2 mins later, this buck stepped out, and after I got a better look at him, I knew I wanted to shoot him.

The smaller buck headed to the small turnip plot as the bigger buck headed the other direction into a little grassy finger that jutted up into the timber. I figured the bigger buck would head to the turnips before dark, so I just sat patiently. 5-10 mins later, he was headed down the edge of the timber heading right for me.

He stopped about 9 yards in front of me and offered me a perfect shot, and I 10-ringed him. He ran about 20 yards, stopped and looked around a little, took 3 more steps, and fell over. He scored 146" and is my biggest buck. He's no monster, but he's a great way to start my trophy wall! I was also able to self-film it, so that made it even better!

Video is here (cant figure out how to embed it here if that's possible?): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ-cswHPkWM

Top Bottom