Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First Season

buck3

Anyone else take vacation for opening week and having second thoughts with the crazy weather this year?

I'm going anyway forecast shows a few good days in NC Iowa and the birds were pretty vocal this week.

Good luck to all trying to fill a youth tag this weekend!!

Always do 1st. Going 2nd this year to coordinate hunts with my sons. But, taking a buddy out Monday. Looks like 24 degrees. Will be taking quite a bit more clothing....

I too took vacation for Monday. I barely remember hunting the month of November this year with 24° let alone turkey hunting! The good thing about going with a bow is you are bound to hit a couple good weather days eventually!

They're really firing off right now as the rain is letting up. Hopefully a dumb one shows up for the boy this morning.

One of my most memorable hunts was after a severe storm had passed through. Tom finally came in all wet and couldn't keep his fan out as the wind was blowing so hard. Smoked him and was my first tom with a bow. Good luck to you guys!!

Good luck again guys! Can' believe we'e all gonna do this in this type of weather but I have had good luck before in the snow!

Yep, this is looking crazier by the minute. Think it has been 30 years since I hunted turkeys in the snow. And I am just the helper this morning. Hope he shoots one shortly after fly down.....

Congrats. Had some gobbling and saw Toms at a distance, but they just didn't seem interested.

Most went silent after fly down for me. Had a 2 year old with a Jake come to 30 yards gobbling at me but I think they were too intimidated by the decoy. They ran off and came back about two minutes later, did some more gobbling and left again. Seen 3 other toms at a distance but they never even stopped to look.

Called in 2 toms and 3 Jakes this afternoon. They gobbled the whole way. Killed one of the toms with my bow at 12 yards. Public land, Boone county.

It turned out to be a good morning for me! A buddy and I went out and both thought it was BS! In ne iowa the snow was still falling pretty good at 530 and the wind was picking up. We managed to keep birds interested off amd on throughout the am but not a 1 showed itself till @ 10. Just like text book he came the last 40 yds on a string. By 10:20 it was all done but the packing up! I should have filmed the whole thing but......I was too damn cold! All in all a good hunt and one we will both remember!
c2286eba627c2578c9350a32bccea079.jpg
a74259f45df1d847002fe945e474aee5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: arm
It was like someone flipped a switch today, birds fired up all morning and still talking at 11 when I walked out..............carrying an extra 24lbs

Last edited:
By the looks of the weather starting Thursday we should be in store for some good days! Good luck to all headed out in the next few days!

Top Bottom