Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First time for everything

Daver

PMA Member
I am getting this post up late due to technical difficulties, but earlier this spring I had a special guest along with me on my one day turkey season. ;) My wife Regina joined me that morning, and while she wasn't carrying a gun, she did stake a claim on the downed bird...as she was the first one to hear that particular gobbler. :D

Getting ready - the alarm went off pretty early that day and I snapped a pic while still in the cabin that morning. Let's just say that I don't think she wanted her picture taken at that hour! :D
0-getting_ready_small.jpg

In the dark - we were listening for early gobbling and did hear a fair amount of gobbling on the roost that day. When she wasn't looking, I again snuck the camera out of my pocket for another "surprise" shot!
0-in_the_dark_small.jpg

Got one - I had a bird approaching on my far left and I had just got my gun up waiting for that one to crest the hill, when out of the corner of my eye, I see a tail fan at my hard right. A bird that my wife was hearing, I was concentrating too much on the birds to my left, beat the others into the spread. I figured "he'd eat" too and quickly swung the ol' Benelli over to the right and cracked him just as he strutted over the hill to us. Game over!
0-i_got_one1_small.jpg

Heavy - My wife was convinced that this was "her turkey"...until I told her that she would have to gut it.
0-heavy_small.jpg

Really - at which point, it became "my turkey" again.
0-really_small.jpg

ATV - but, no worries, she hopped on the 4 wheeler and zipped all around the place for most of the rest of the day.
0-atv2_small.jpg

It was nice to have a fair number of turks to chase again this year. This is the first year in several years where the population has been fair to good in our neighborhood and I think we should have a nice hatch this year too with the relatively mile spring we have had. Next year...I will see if I can get her out hunting to get her own!

Nice work!
There's no one else i'd rather be out with than my wife, I can honestly say that. Best hunting experience of my life was when she bagged one at 8.75 months pregnant. Pure enjoyment

Top Bottom