Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

first timer

farmboy85

I never fired or load the muzzleloader before. would it be bad if I push the .50 caliber all way to pellets and accident crack or broke the pellets?
what if the caliber is about a inch away from the pellet and its ok to fire?

You want the bullet directly on top of the powder pellets. This is the most consistent way to load. Just be careful and you won't crush the pellets.

A cracked pellet won't hurt you or your gun... just be less consistant firing when you shoot it and as a result less accurate. Push your bullet all the way to the powder, to just-touching. Leave no gap. The bullet is supposed to hold the powder tight to the breach.

Leaving an intentional space between the bullet and the charge is a potentially dangerous problem. Best case in that scenario would be that the powder doesn't light, since the powder slides away from the breach plug. If the primer manages to light the powder, the worst case is you get an exploded barrel and a burnt face.

Be safe out there and read your manual. Put some tape on your ram-rod when the bullet is fully inserted. Always push the ram rod to the same spot marked with the tape.

X2 on marking the push rod. Number one thing gramps told me and if u don't fire the gun, you don't want to be bringing it from the cold to the warm all the time. condensation will give you problems with going off.

I never fired or load the muzzleloader before. would it be bad if I push the .50 caliber all way to pellets and accident crack or broke the pellets?
what if the caliber is about a inch away from the pellet and its ok to fire?

3 things can happen

Nothing
Barrel Bulges
Barrel Explodes in your face

Take the time to swab between each shot when shoot Triple 7, American Pioneer, Goex, Pyrodex.

Cracked pellets normally are inconsistent. Pellets for the matter typically suck as they do not allow you the ability to fine tune your loads to what the rifle likes. Yes, most get by with pellets but there's those other guys that need more accuracy.

thanks for the tips!
I marked my push rod
fired my first shot. wasnt too bad than I thought! lol
broke my rod after 4 shots. It was getting too hard to push alittle more to the pellet. I dont have a "T" top to push the rod.
done cleaned my muzzleloader. going to get a new rod tomorrow.

Another thing I learned, brush your barrel out between shots. It will make them easier to load and shoot tighter groups. I switched to trip 7 powder and was having the same problem as you, started brushing and it made a world of difference.

Another thing I learned, brush your barrel out between shots. It will make them easier to load and shoot tighter groups. I switched to trip 7 powder and was having the same problem as you, started brushing and it made a world of difference.

thanks! I will try it

Farmboy85
If you need some help with the muzzy, PM me.
I have a CVA Accura and the Optima, both 50 cal that I use for deer hunting. Dave

Top Bottom