Fixing a chewed up antler? Help!

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting Conference' started by greatwhitehunter1, Dec 6, 2017 at 5:11 PM.

1. greatwhitehunter1

greatwhitehunter1 Bambi Down

Feels like forever since I was posting my shed log threads on here a few years back! Hope to see both old and new members on here!

So I have a delima, (and I guarantee every other shed hunter has had the same at one point lol!) One side of one of the nicest sets I have ever found has tips chewed off of the antler. A few years ago on this forum I heard of a guy having his fixed and they turned out awesome. I'm wondering if there is anyone around that could fix my antler, as it's not extremely bad, just needs some antler tips finished off. Is there anyone that could help me get some info on this? Thanks in advance!

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. greatwhitehunter1

greatwhitehunter1 Bambi Down

4. HorseDoctor

HorseDoctor PMA Member

Most good taxidermist can do it. If not they can (& will) refer you to one who does. Ask to see pics of their work. Not all taxis are equal...

5. 203ntyp

203ntyp PMA Member

I repaired some brow tines that were broke off with "PIG" putty. I drilled a small hole and epoxied a piece of twisted wire in the break then molded the putty to get as close to the shape as I wanted (you only have about 5 minutes). I then sanded it down, used a dremel to add some add some detail, go over with steel wool, stained and wiped until the color matches. Turned out pretty good, even fooled the taxidermist....

chipterp likes this.