Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Flail mower vs rotary

deerdown

Looking at a 6' shredder, what would you buy and why?
Heard good things about a flail mower, but don't hear much about them, and even fewer for sale. Good, bad about them in comparison?

I considered the same thing for a while. Flail chops up the material real well and that’s the biggest benefit I saw. I went with rotary for a few reasons, less money to buy, less maintenance, uses less horsepower. But I really like the idea of shredding the material and if I see a good deal on one I’ll buy it to have another option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm leaning to a flail, say it will handle 2, or 3" material depending on what your buy. Might look for a used one to try out

I remember chopping corn stalks back in high school with a flail chopper. Man did those corn cobs hitting the back of my legs hurt! Better have a cab. Maybe today’s are designed differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ones I'm looking at say they only throw 2', which is why they are safer than rotary.
2 drawbacks I've read, you mow slower, and need to maintain.

The ones I'm looking at say they only throw 2', which is why they are safer than rotary.
2 drawbacks I've read, you mow slower, and need to maintain.

Good friends, who own a habitat business have one and they love it. They like it for mowing native grasses because the flail, if properly maintained, does not pull plants out by the roots and of course chops the material better, which allows for better and quicker regrowth.

Top Bottom