Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Flooring question

HorseDoctor

PMA Member
We are making plans to put a small addition on the fishing cabin in Minnesota. Going over options for flooring. I like the looks of wood and cosmetically, it will tie into existing floor well but not real keen on spending the extra $$$ for solid wood that will get limited use. Some of the newer wood look alikes, like the vinyl wood planks, look real good and appear easy to install. They claim to be durable but I would just like to hear the opinion of someone who has actually used them in addition to their advertising hype. Anyone have an opinion? Thanks!

Laminate flooring is very durable and usually easy to install. I put some in my house that everyone thinks is wood. It was not the cheap stuff but it is holding up very well to 3 boys and a Lab. If laminate has any real drawback I would say that it is moisture. If a drop of water gets in a crack between two pieces it will swell and you can NOT sand it out like you would real wood.

Last edited:
What is your temperature control and humidity situation in the cabin? Knowing how the atmosphere will be maintained, or not, could strongly influence flooring choices to me.

If this is a seasonal use cabin, with large fluctuations in humidity/temp, I would go cheap and easy...vinyl, linoleum, etc.

My mom put the wood look vinyl down in her house.. looks pretty nice.. ive heard that it can be ripped easily though dragging furniture across it though

Great information which you share with us, I would like to say that Now there are many type of flooring, Like wood flooring, Marble flooring, Tile flooring, Cement flooring, But wood flooring is the best type of them which used all over the world.And its increase house beauty and attraction.

I put 450 square ft down in my house of the allure flooring from home depot about 2 months ago. So far we love it and it was pretty easy to do. It is important that you have a dry environment in the room during the time of installation and for a while afterward otherwise the glue may fail. The stuff is very durable, but have noticed that it will leave shiny scuff marks very easily instead of scratches. Although these only show when sunlight hits them just right... something we can live with.

My mom put the wood looking vinyl in her basement. I think it looks awesome and she has not had any issues with it yet but it has only been down there for a year or so with not a whole lot of traffic. That is what I plan on doing in my kitchen someday.

I've got laminate wood flooring in my house and it looks great. Not sure on brand as it was already in place when I bought it. Holds up well to furniture moving, although we did add felt pads to the chairs that get used alot, and rubber pads on the sofa/loveseat to keep them from sliding around. Only issues is it is somewhat difficult to keep clean and shows smudges depending on the light. Also, easy to puncture/dent when you drop something pointed/sharp on it (such as a hammer), but I'm thinking hardwood would dent as well in that case.

go to a habitat restore and you can get great flooring for a fraction of the price- did it in a hunting cabin and it looks top notch for literally 1/10 of the price!

Top Bottom