Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Foam marker for quad spraying?

Old Buck

Life Member
Anyone have any information or experience with putting a foam marker on the booms for a quad sprayer? What works? What doesn't? Cost? I'm tired of trying to figure out where I've sprayed and where I haven't.

Old Buck

Don't think i've ever seen a foam marker for a 4 wheeler sized sprayer. Just a thought though, you could take some orange marker flags and pre-mark all of your spray paths at the same width of the boom arms and then just center punch your lanes with the 4 wheeler after lanes are marked... guess it would be kind of a pain in the ass on a big plot though

Larry,
I have seen toilet paper used with a little weight to prevent drifting because of the wind but if the toilet paper drifts cause of the wind so is your spray so you should be o.k.

There are many different types of foam markers that you can use. The 3.5 gallon lawn and turf foam marking system is the one that I am most familar with. It can be adapted to an atv sprayer or a lawn sprayer. Parts are cheap and sprayer specialties is a great company to work with.

I put a piece of 1/2" round steel on the front of my Rhino with an orange flag pointed down. I adjust the length of the steel to be as far out as the spray pattern from left hand boom. When I turn around to make the next pass I make sue the oranage flag on the end of the steel splits the difference between where you are and the tire tracks you left behind. It isn't exact, but it is close.

Another thing I have done, but don't know if it is right because it requires math, is cut the strenght of my herbacide in 1/2, spray in one direction then go over it again 90 degrees to my original path. I don't know if two doses of 1/2 strength herbacide works like 1 dose of full strength, but it has worked for me.

The 'Bonker

How bout' adding a dye mixture to the herbicide? Sure...you might have a red plot for a while, but I'd be willing to bet it would work its way off with rain. Just a thought......

I try to spray in the am so I tell where I have been over the field.
doug
spray2.jpg

spray.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CRITRGITR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How bout' adding a dye mixture to the herbicide? Sure...you might have a red plot for a while, but I'd be willing to bet it would work its way off with rain. Just a thought...... </div></div>

They actually used to make tracer, which was a dye you mixed with your chemical to mark where you are going. Then is was found out that the dye sitting on a plant on a hot and sunny day was affecting photosynthises, almost to the point of killing off the foilage. It wasn't so tuff on grasses, but very tuff on legumes.

I had the same dilemna for years and finally last year got a richway foam marker system which i put on the 60 gallon skid sprayer in my mule. Although expensive i couldnt be happier with the results,especially when spraying expensive herbicide like journey,etc. If you want to check/try mine out just shoot me a p.m. The sprayer specialties link which was posted above is a great source of anything spray related.At least one guy at the counter is an avid hunter, not to mention all the mounts that are displayed,which i was impressed with because alot of places "blow you off" when the figure out your not a real farmer and are trying to enhance your recreation property, also the in store prices are much lower than listed in the catolog or website. Maybe they will have a demo unit at the upcoming qdma food plot day,or i could bring mine out.The foamer was possibly some of the best money spent for my endeavors not to mention eliminating alot of frustrations!!!

Thanks for all the input. I ended up getting a rig at Sprayer's Specialties. They have a Grimes address but are actually located near Cutty's on the NE side of DM.

The owners are avid hunters and have lots of whitetail heads and turkey fans on the wall. They were great people to work with. The foamer wasn't cheap but it works well and I spend a lot less time being lost on an odd shaped plot trying to figure out where I've been and where I haven't.

The rig also has the potential to be moved from one sprayer to another so several people could go in together on one and use it on a number of different sprayers.

Thanks again for the input,
Old Buck

Work with those guys alot, and they are top notch. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif You made a good choice with them, can't beat their CS.

I just had Sprayland in Cedar Rapids put on a foam marker for my 3 pt. 200 gal. sprayer. Cost was $750 but I figured I'd save that in chemical cost by not over spraying.
I'm not sure if they have them for ATV's or not. http://www.sprayland.com

Top Bottom