Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Foi 3/2/11

Fishbonker

Life Member
Latest from FOI:

Subject: FW: HF 327
We would like to thank everyone who has written to Iowa ’s legislature asking them to support Bills SF #219 & HF #327. The response was reported to be overwhelming. A committee meeting was held this past Monday for Bill HF #327 , at this time no action has been taken.

We continue to meet daily with Iowa ’s legislators to discuss this legislation as well as NRLO reform in general and will keep you informed as to any action being taken.

Thanks

Friends of Iowa Landowners & Sportsmen

One of the members of the House Natural Resources Committee commented on the number of nonresidents that contacted him in support of this bill. I know it gets tiring fighting the same battle over and over and over but it is a battle we must continue to fight to keep what is uniquely Iowa for Iowans. We are up against big money interests with seemingly bottomless pockets.

We must continue to let OUR elected officials know how we, the constituents who elected them to their office, feel about our hunting traditions, and our accessibility to huntable ground.

Neither bill made it out of committee this year, but the session is far from over. The IBA, IWF and those members of this site with their nose to the wind will continue to be diligent in our efforts to keep everyone informed of any new legislation that gets added on as an amendment to any existing bills.

It is incumbent upon you to keep the pressure on your elected officials not only today but all spring, summer and fall as well. If your Senator or Representative holds a meet and greet in your area be sure to stop by, introduce yourself and either thank them for supporting deer hunters in Iowa or politely admonish them for not. It is harder for them not to support you when they can put a human face on an issue rather than a faceless email.

Congratulations to all of you who fought and won, but we will need to keep fighting because we know they will too.

Amen Bonker. To those of you didn't quite find the time to call your legislators or thought your lone voice wouldn't make a difference; please make a resolution now to get involved. You know who you are, and your help is needed.

I wish you were right that the FOI had bottomless pockets..... If that were true I would be hunting all over the planet!! I like Iowa, the people and even the Blackhawks..... But it sure would be nice to go to my Iowa property and if a nice buck or doe passed in front of me within bow range ( about 10 to 15 feet) that I could fling an arrow at it each season.... It's interesting that you seem to get more excited about NRLO looking for an opportunity to hunt their own property than you do about poachers sneaking into your back forty!!

It's interesting that you seem to get more excited about NRLO looking for an opportunity to hunt their own property than you do about poachers sneaking into your back forty!!
There are laws currently that address both issues; both probably need strengthening. :way:

I wish you were right that the FOI had bottomless pockets..... If that were true I would be hunting all over the planet!! I like Iowa, the people and even the Blackhawks..... But it sure would be nice to go to my Iowa property and if a nice buck or doe passed in front of me within bow range ( about 10 to 15 feet) that I could fling an arrow at it each season.... It's interesting that you seem to get more excited about NRLO looking for an opportunity to hunt their own property than you do about poachers sneaking into your back forty!!

Why is this so hard to understand? If you want to hunt like a resident, then become a resident. It's just that simple.

That battle is just the tip of the iceberg. Get ready for a NRLO lawsuit that will be backed by just about every NRLO in the state. The DNR in its infinite wisdom went after those 40 or so guys that have a residency here and pay state income taxes etc... you all know the deal. Their attorneys have turned up some serious constitutional arguments in favor of non-resident landowner hunting rights. All you arm chair attorneys can chime in with cases dealing with federal land and state land but we are dealing with private land and there is no legislation that has ever dealt with this scenario. It's real and way more dangerous than these bills that were tanked. The money to back this type of lawsuit will be close to limitless. Take nannyslayers advice start buying or leasing land.

The money to back this type of lawsuit will be close to limitless. Take nannyslayers advice start buying or leasing land.
It takes more than money to win a lawsuit! I'll be ready to shoot this down again next year. In the mean time maybe some of you nrlo's should think about purchasing or leasing land in other states.

That battle is just the tip of the iceberg. Get ready for a NRLO lawsuit that will be backed by just about every NRLO in the state. The DNR in its infinite wisdom went after those 40 or so guys that have a residency here and pay state income taxes etc... you all know the deal. Their attorneys have turned up some serious constitutional arguments in favor of non-resident landowner hunting rights. All you arm chair attorneys can chime in with cases dealing with federal land and state land but we are dealing with private land and there is no legislation that has ever dealt with this scenario. It's real and way more dangerous than these bills that were tanked. The money to back this type of lawsuit will be close to limitless. Take nannyslayers advice start buying or leasing land.

I don't know the details of all 40 individuals you reference, but the few that I do know about with ground close to me didn't even try to meet the new residency requirements (or the old requirements for that matter), they blatantly broke the law and still expected to be able to claim residency. If it angered the rich little babies and they are going to sue until they get their way, so be it, I guess I don't have a problem with the dnr enforcing the law that these guys have been breaking for years.

These guys have had people kissing their backside for too long, whether it's local guys taking care of their farms for them, the dnr turning a blind eye, or all their "friends" that want to hunt with them, at the end of the day, the only reason these guys are relevant is because of their $$, let them spend some $$$ on their lawyers for hunting rights - they've bought everything else, might as well be consistent.

It takes more than money to win a lawsuit! I'll be ready to shoot this down again next year. In the mean time maybe some of you nrlo's should think about purchasing or leasing land in other states.

Cedar,
I would strongly suggest spreading the word now and getting as
many people as possible to join the IWF for next year.

I was at a NWTF banquet last night and I would say over half the hunters do not know what is going on with these bills. These are the individuals that we need to target for next year.
I would rather be proactive than reactive come next year.

As far as NR's hunting here I have no problem with that and welcome you.

If as a NRLO you bought land here knowing fully well what the laws were and now feel the need to spend money filing a lawsuit that is unfortunate because no one is going to win but the lawyers in a long drug out lawsuit.

Why is this so hard to understand? If you want to hunt like a resident, then become a resident. It's just that simple.
thats a fact not that hard to understand do they really think that they can come here buy land and have the rules changed that have been in place for years just for them. If you don't like our rules buy land in some other state that simple

No thanks, I'll be hunting my Iowa farm in December. See you then!

Private land rights and a States Nature Resourses are two seprate issues. The Nature Resource issue has been settled in the courts. But keep dreaming if it make you feel better.

I would say its fine let the nrlo hunt every year but make the tags like $1500 see how many will hunt and how many will give up.

I would say its fine let the nrlo hunt every year but make the tags like $1500 see how many will hunt and how many will give up.

I don't personally like this approach. I think NRs are getting pounded as it is. Tag prices are rediculous. IMO

I don't personally like this approach. I think NRs are getting pounded as it is. Tag prices are ridiculous. IMO

I agree.

A little off the subject but
I hope the DNR (like any gov't institution) learns to run itself
efficiently first and then realign themselves so they do not have
to charge those prices to the NR.

No thanks, I'll be hunting my Iowa farm in December. See you then!

Jdubs- Understand if you don't want to answer these questions, but I've seen you refer to hunting your farm in December in several posts. Do you apply for shotgun/late muzzy tags each year or accrue preference points (off topic, but 50.00 is insane to charge someone for a preference point)for a bow tag and hunt antlerless?

If you do apply for a gun tag, what has been your success rate? I've had several NR family/friends that have had good success drawing gun tags multiple years in a row.

I understand that there are purists that just want to bow hunt, but if it were me, I think I'd be all over that late muzzy season.

Also, with the residents you allow to hunt your farm - do you take advantage of the "party hunting" loophole in years that you don't draw?

Just trying to get a feel for how difficult it actually is for a NRLO to hunt their farm each year if they really want to.

Well I don't like it either but if they can't cough up the money then they can wait to hunt. If they don't like that then they can buy land elsewhere. Should of thought of that before they bought the land.

Jdubs- Understand if you don't want to answer these questions, but I've seen you refer to hunting your farm in December in several posts. Do you apply for shotgun/late muzzy tags each year or accrue preference points (off topic, but 50.00 is insane to charge someone for a preference point)for a bow tag and hunt antlerless?

If you do apply for a gun tag, what has been your success rate? I've had several NR family/friends that have had good success drawing gun tags multiple years in a row.

I understand that there are purists that just want to bow hunt, but if it were me, I think I'd be all over that late muzzy season.

Also, with the residents you allow to hunt your farm - do you take advantage of the "party hunting" loophole in years that you don't draw?

Just trying to get a feel for how difficult it actually is for a NRLO to hunt their farm each year if they really want to.
Jdubs likes hunting in Iowa. He can hunt all seven days of the week here. He also states he lets resident hunters hunt his land. My guess is they are neighboring landowners, and they probably do party hunt shotgun season. Many nrlo's do this; although many will deny it.

Top Bottom