Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Foi 3/2/11

Well said Kaare and that is what truly will happen, its starting to happen in areas now. About 10 minutes south of my house its getting interesting in parts.
In my area leased hunting has been going on for over 10 years. One guy comes in and locks up as much timber land as he can; then leases the hunting rights. Several of the landowners were widowed, and happy to have someone come along and MANAGE their land for them. I might add we have outfitters operating in my area also. This is the number one reason, i am a landowner. It's also why i am so passionate about preserving our hunting as it is. We've gone through considerable changes in hunting in my lifetime already!

Last edited:
In my eyes the concept of "free hunting" is more than just that. When friends and neighbors have to pay to access each other's property you've got a larger problem than the hunting itself. What will follow is the breakdown of friendships, relationships with neighbors and eventually the face of rural America will look nothing like it once was.

Unfortunately, this wheel is already turning at various speeds depending on location. Excellent post.

In my eyes the concept of "free hunting" is more than just that. When friends and neighbors have to pay to access each other's property you've got a larger problem than the hunting itself. What will follow is the breakdown of friendships, relationships with neighbors and eventually the face of rural America will look nothing like it once was.
The face of rural America looks just as it did 30 years ago. The only difference is that hunting ground is now a commodity. 30 years ago you would not of asked a farmer to have one of his hogs for free or looked down on him if he didn't give you one, nor would you look down on him today. If you break down in front of his house he will still let you borrow a wrench or if you get stuck in a ditch there's still a good chance he'll fire up the tractor to pull you out. The only difference is that good hunting ground is worth money today. It's not about letting your neighbor on your land to kill a doe for food anymore...it's big business. It's supply and demand. It's capitalism. It's what has made our country great and has forever changed the way we think about hunting.

The area I left was really locked down for hunting. The positive side was - It made the hunting a lot better and created far less problems for me on my land. I bought before it got that crazy and lots of other folks bought up the land. I don't feel guilty for buying my land, I do understand it's frustrating for others that used to hunt there. I see both sides. I bought land BECAUSE I was a broke 12 to 22 year old (that whole time) with no place to hunt, all my spots got developed, leased, tied up or sold. I made a choice when I was VERY YOUNG that I wanted and needed to buy land. Started out VERY POOR and thankfully was able to WORK MY BUTT OFF, save and buy some land and grow. I did it partially because I lost most my spots BUT also because I have a passion for land and leaving it far better than when I found it. No guilt for that BUT I do have an understanding for the kids or some folks who can't afford a piece or were used to how it used to be.

The face of rural America looks just as it did 30 years ago. The only difference is that hunting ground is now a commodity. 30 years ago you would not of asked a farmer to have one of his hogs for free or looked down on him if he didn't give you one, nor would you look down on him today. If you break down in front of his house he will still let you borrow a wrench or if you get stuck in a ditch there's still a good chance he'll fire up the tractor to pull you out.

That's great for everyone then......as that is exactly what I was thinking, the helping out etc... Was just thinking that Joe Blow may be less liable to throw Johhny down the road a bone when he needs help with whatever but if that is not the case then indeed my suspicions are wrong.

I know the face of rural Saskatchewan does not look like it did 30 yrs ago by any stretch, less people, larger corporate farms etc but the mentality is still the same as then, help your neighbor, scratch each other's back. It was that mentailty that lead agriculture to this part and depending on neighbors was and still is very much a reality. I guess the biggest difference is the stuck situation, there isn't a good chance the farmer will fire it up, you know he will.

I know people on here like to think I "milk the cow" or "like a free ride", that's their uneducated perogative on a part of the world where things still work that way. I can however see it changing as time changes everything. I don't hate the player by any stretch in this topic, just the game as I will confess to thinking a world where money doesn't need to change hands b/w friends and neighbors for favors is a better place than one where having someone fix your wife's flat tire may set you back 20 bucks.

I know people on here like to think I "milk the cow" or "like a free ride"

I couldn't understand anyone if they thought that. I would imagine the VAST area of Saskatchewan with few people (compared to here) - this would be the norm. That sounds EXACTLY how I'd get access to land if I lived there- I'd help out neighbors and get access to hunt with friendship, helping and relationships- sounds great to me! Problem is, when I did that HERE- it didn't work out.... I lost most my spots, they got over-run, sold, leased, tied up, etc OR the spots I had left- they sucked- got blown to piss. If nothing had changed, some folks I know that bought ground would never have done it. For me, I would have bought land anyways- I just love owning land, making it better than I found it and making the hunting all it can be. There's no way anyone has a leg to stand on calling people "free-loaders" or "milking the cow". Whatever path you choose is all good and your right- each has its ups and downs and everyone should have the right to determine what they want to do.

Skip, your last two posts are right on target; I went through the same scenario-- one year you have permission and the next you don't because someone's cousin needs aplace to hunt more than you do or the land changed hands and the new owner doesn't allow hunting. From a very early age I had a burning desire to have my very own piece of America. With a great deal of sacrifice and God's blessings it became a reality. I stress good land stewardship and each year try to make improvements on a property that had been abused for about 30 years prior to my purchase. It's nice to see other folks with the same passion. These are great times and I believe there are still many opportunities out there.

I know people on here like to think I "milk the cow" or "like a free ride"
I'd say you are sitting in the sweet spot and most would want to be in that position. Not because it's free, because it's the way it used to be. It's the way I remember it growing up. I will say, there are still plenty of places that you can hunt like that but you take your chances that it will be there the following year or the land owner will let multiple people hunt it. And like Sligh1 says, they are usually smaller pieces.

It's a really good thing you killed this bill! OMG!

Iowans,

As I understand it, the bills mentioned in this thread would have allowed Iowa landowners living outside of Iowa to get an any-sex license IF they owned 80 or more contiguous acres for at least 5 years. Can anyone tell me what is so wrong with these bills???

OrionWhitetails

Iowans,

As I understand it, the bills mentioned in this thread would have allowed Iowa landowners living outside of Iowa to get an any-sex license IF they owned 80 or more contiguous acres for at least 5 years. Can anyone tell me what is so wrong with these bills???

OrionWhitetails

Do you really want an answer to that?

If you honestly do I am sure we can help you.
I honestly believe you are trying to stir the pot.

even though thats one of the dumbest things said in 13 pages, its still funny as hell.
That was the way it was intended...glad you picked up on it. If OrionWhitetails would be checking in the last 4 months he would already heard everyone's opinions at least twice.

That was the way it was intended...glad you picked up on it. If OrionWhitetails would be checking in the last 4 months he would already heard everyone's opinions at least twice.
He has heard it for years. Just a FOI founder trolling for more information. Even thou I think he is a resident of the great state of Iowa now. :thrwrck:

Top Bottom