Food for all day hunts

Discussion in 'Food Corner' started by Thinkin Rut, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Altiman94

Altiman94 Member

I've never been good at all day sits, but I normally try to drink only water and sometimes have some jerky or a sandwich in my pack. Seems like if I'm not seeing deer by 10AM I'm on my way down and will rest up for an afternoon hunt.

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. jmoose

jmoose PMA Member

now i see that Todd was right....you broke your muddy sticks fatty! just messin nanny!

doesn't this quote break your "king sized only" rule?

i'm a big fan of the following, in no particular order and not all at once...
    snickers
    PB&J sandwhich
    pop tarts
    apples
    granola bars (chocolate covered preferably)
    jerky
    trail mix or mixed nuts
    and i always have at least one bottle of water in my pack

now i'm hungry....

4. colorado

colorado ArrowAddict

This is kind of in the food/drink category. Do you guys take a bottle or something to pee in?

5. AIRASSAULT

AIRASSAULT PMA Member

Something im trying this year is I bought a few of those Campbells Soup containers that are like a thermos.. just heat up your soup in the morning and is suppose to stay hot all day...or until you eat it... which ever comes first :)

6. AIRASSAULT

AIRASSAULT PMA Member

I use to worry about it... now i just let er fly right off the stand! Nothin like a golden fountain from 20ft up! Although, it does make a nice handwarmer in a bottle for a little bit

7. colorado

colorado ArrowAddict

Hahaha. I tried that but it's pretty loud. Especially if it hits the dry leaves.

8. nannyslayer

nannyslayer New Member

:moon::moon:

9. AIRASSAULT

AIRASSAULT PMA Member

You just gotta create the perfect geometric angle and make it land right down the side of a branch or smaller tree.. break its fall you might say :)

10. nannyslayer

nannyslayer New Member

Pee'n out of a stand this year would almost be considered baiting. A deer hears running water will probably come running straight to your tree.

11. muddy

muddy Administrator

I pack a 25 foot hose with a funnel, its a giant pee bong and takes the leaf splatter away.

I also try to pee on squirrels, that is very quiet.

12. sep0667

sep0667 Land of the Whitetail

This is a great idea, have not thought of that. Last year I would bring a bunch of bite snize snickers with me, probably 5-10 on my sits. They were a litte loud with all the crinkling when it was time to eat. Opening up anything that comes in its own wrapper and then putting in a bigger zip lock baggy is a really good idea.

13. Shovelbuck

Shovelbuck Active Member

I'm probably going a bit extreme but I didn't build my new tank blind to just sit in. It has a cook stove and I plan on using it during our rifle season.;) The menu right now is sausage, egg and cheese muffins about 10:00 am, and probably chicken Ramin noodle for mid day. Maybe some Smores later on.:way::D

14. Fishbonker

Fishbonker Life Member

Sooooo, what day did you want me to show up? I'm all about extreme.

I've always found triple decker PB&J samiches and a Snickers bar or two fill the void. Oh wait, you mean actually hunting and not watching "hunting" shows on TV. Huh, well, then I have found that a flask full of Makers not only takes the chill off but softens the blow when I fall outta the stand. Monster bucks can't resist "Maker's Breath". I've even been known to spritz down with Makers before I go to the stand. Kind of a waste just to spritz Makers but the 'Bonker knows no limits when it comes to mega bucks. Come to think of it, Makers makes the "hunting" shows easier to watch, especially with a belly full of triple decker PB&J and Snickers.

15. TeenageHunter

TeenageHunter McNorrisBieber Staff Member

Poptarts, energy bars, pancakes (yes...pancakes), deer jerky, beef jerky, meat (I bring deer steaks pre-cooked), hostesse donuts all day long :) I bring 2 bags. Plus chocolate milk and some peanut butter sandwiches.

16. KnuckleDragr

KnuckleDragr Active Member

Jeez Biebs! Sounds like you may need a duffle bag for your B-day to haul all that grub!!

17. bkcrrtnps

bkcrrtnps Well-Known Member

www.hot-can.com that stuff is awesome and can double as a hand warmer

18. Liv4Rut

Liv4Rut Active Member

I am wierd. I don't get hungry when i hunt. I can go all day without eating. I usually have a mountain dew and a water. I do pack food but usually for buddies because they can't make it and pack it in the truck. If anything I will throw a pack of pop tarts in my pack and I am good to go for an all day sit.

19. deerhunter93

deerhunter93 Well-Known Member

Hahahaha I needed that after my day today. Thanks Muddy!!!

For a response on topic... My go to food is a pb&j but I also enjoy Snickers, MilkyWays, granola bars, peanut butter crackers, jerky, and trail mix on stand. I always take a water bottle on all-days as well.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  20. bigbuckhunter88

bigbuckhunter88 PMA Member

This is funny, because this weekend while munching on jerky with a couple buddies who were early muzzleloader hunting, one refused jerky and his reason was "Haven't you ever seen the show Solo Hunter. You can't eat while hunting because your senses are heightened when you are hungry". He was making fun of the show and passed the jerky cuz he had a chew in.

To make it all day I don't need much. Some jerky, something to drink, maybe a PB sandwich or a candy bar and something to put in my lip. That is what gets me by.

21. bowman

bowman Super Moderator

I mix peanuts, M&Ms, candy corn, and raisins in a large bag right at Holloween each year and divy a couple small zip lock bags out of that each day for my pack. Any other snacks (really like bite size Snickers) gets unwrapped and added to another zip lock bag that usually includes Smarties for whatever reason. Then just a PB & J for the lunch hour along with plenty of water for the day.

Actually, the food passes the time for me on all day sits. I break it down by a handfull of the trail mix every hour, a snicker every two hours, and the sandwich between 11 and noon. (and Smarties whenever I want :D)

My only challenge on all day sits is how to handle the daily need to get rid of yesterday's food, but that is another topic all together!:confused: