Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

food for thought

Rich77

Its getting into the middle of november and the temps have dropped off and us tag holders are burning hours in the tree.
With all this cold weather gear, dont forget to shoot your bow!!
All these layers add up and can cause some problems. Im a stickler for accuracy and over the years ive found out that i can only shoot accurately with a very thin glove on my release hand " i shoot a thumb trigger" wether you realize it or not a bulky glove moving your anchor point or a bow string smacking your sleeve can be all it takes to wound or miss a deer you've put all this work into.
I know we all shoot 3" groups at 80 yards year round but just make sure you check it out. Being warm doesn't mean squat if your bow shoots 8" off because you put every piece of clothing you own on.
Keep after it fellas. Im still waiting for my chance this season

This is great advice. One of the issues I had last year was not being able to retain accuracy when shooting with thicker gloves for the stated reasons above, and I believe it cost me a nice buck as my hands froze waiting on a nice buck to come in, and my numb fingers bumped the trigger before my pin was settled. This year I changed releases to the tru fire hardcore buckle release Max and it solved that problem of not being able to wear gloves. The pivoting head on the release allows my string to lay against my cheek without putting any extra torque on the string. I look forward to trying some thicker gloves out this weekend.

Great reminder. Learned the lesson about bow string slapping the bulky jacket on my forearm the hard way back in 06, I believe. It all makes a difference!!

Good advice!! I would add that I have heard of people getting so cold that they then cannot draw their bow at the critical time. Now since I am Hercules like, I don't have that problem. But...some of the rest of you regular guys might. Just sayin'. :D

At any rate, keep flexing and stay ready for a shot!

All good advice. I've wondered many times in the stand if I could even draw back due to being cold. I will admit I am not Hercules or his distant cousin, so I've had times where it gets challenging. When I get this feeling, I go ahead and practice draw (after checking for deer of course), because if you can't draw, you're just deer watching. Also, any time I layer up more than my base layer and t shirt, I use an elastic sleeve to keep my clothes tighter on my arm. I may even try bandage wrap this year with my bulky winter coat.

Sounds like you guys may want a drink a few protein shakes in the off season! All kidding aside, gloves will definitely alter your anchor point and thus your shot. Learned the hard way as well. I use a hand muff with hand warmers stuffed in it and use the same thin gloves as always. I stuck a bunch of toe warmers all over my midsection and one inside my stocking cap today and stayed surprisingly warm.

I don't even wear gloves just keep em in my pockets. If I get a shot its only out for a short time and I never notice the cold............

Great advice, I've found wearing vests helps cut down on the bulk material around the arms.

I blew a chip shot opportunity back in late Nov of 2006 at the 1st mature buck I'd ever seen from stand. He came by while cruising the river in late morning & my muscles were so tensed up from sitting facing a North wind all morning that I couldn't even draw my bow. Learned that lesson the hard way, now I use the Thermacare heated body wraps on the cold days.

Top Bottom