Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food Plot Advice

IowaDave

PMA Member
I need some advice, please.
I've planted Frigid Forage for years and have mainly planted Big N Beasty in my food plots here in Iowa and have had very good luck with it. I have a property in the Southern Black Hills in SD (about 25 miles south of Custer) and next year would like to plant some plots out there as well, however have a few issues to overcome.
First is that I'm not sure how good the soil is there. There are native grasses that grow fairly well there when there is moisture; I have access to a hose that I could water with a sprinkler where I would put one of the plots, but I would be relying on Mother Nature for water on the other places.
The next issue I have is that I am not going to be able to get a tractor to where I want to have the plots to till it up. The terrain is very steep leading to where I want to plant them. The plots would be on flat ground, but the ground leading to them is definitely not. There are also a lot of (big) rocks so I don't want to ruin a garden tiller. My plan is to get a skid loader with rock teeth on the bucket to the areas, tip the bucket down, lower the bucket and drive backwards and use the teeth to do the best I can to get the soil turned up (after I have killed whatever is growing with roundup prior to doing so). Do you think that will work?
Perhaps my biggest issue is that the property is 500 miles away and we only get out there a couple times a year. I would be applying the roundup when we are out there during Memorial Day and the only time I would have to plant the plots is when we are out there over the 4th of July. I typically plant my Big n Beasty in early August in Iowa.
I would prefer to plant an annual vs. perennial because there are a LOT of deer in the area and I'm afraid that if they can start browsing it starting in the spring when things start to grow & green up that it would be grazed out by the time hunting season arrives. I would be planting it as a plot to bowhunt over during the beginning of the season and archery season starts on Sept. 1 in SD.
With all of that information, what would you recommend that I plant?
I really, really appreciate any help and information that you can provide me!

If u want perennial- CLOVER.
Killing natives is REALLY HARD!!!!!!!!! I mean- incredibly hard & ya, as much as I hate tearing soil up- only way to kill it aside from nuking multiple times with insane herbicide rates.
Clover & alfalfa are solid perennials. If u seed in fall- put autumn quick plot with clover in. Be fine.
Read dbltree section on here.
Very doable - just gonna be some work getting established.

Thanks for the reply.
I'd really rather plant an annual vs. perennial if I can get something to grow & attract deer in the early fall since there are so many deer in the area and I'm afraid they'd have it decimated by the time hunting season started. I know I could fence it to keep them out, but since I have such a limited amount of time that I'm out there I'd rather not do that, plus I wouldn't be able to take the fence down until I'm out there to hunt and I'd like to have them get used to coming to the plots before the season starts.

I would look at whitetail instatute. "extreme" product i believe its formulated for dry areas ! Might cover your butt if you have dry conditions !! Since your not able to monitor those plots ! Good luck

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk

Any chance you could hire a local to do it? I think your chances of success would go up substantially if you had someone near by you could trust. It's gonna be really hard to work around weather from that distance , especially given how hot and dry it can be out there.

I believe you should plant a perennial as Skip mentioned. Your timing for planting is whats going to be the biggest factor....I would get clover in there for sure, can handle lots of browsing pressure and will continue to come back....i think if you planted a brassica mix from what your describing they could wipe it out and youd be out of luck....my .02 cents is to plant a clover

Top Bottom