Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food Plot for Poor soil

Rutty

Guys, I have a 1/2 acre kill plot tucked back in a cove of cedar trees on a ridge. The soils are very poor and are surrounded by cedar trees. I had to come in and rip cedar trees out to create the plot. I have tried clover and turnips and both food plots didn't turn out very well due to the soils. I loaded it up with fertilizer and still had poor results even in good growing conditions. Does anybody have any good recommendations on what to plant there that would grow in very poor soils? Just looking to get something that will grow and will only hunt over it in October and November. Not looking for a late season draw since it is so small in size. Thanks

Guys, I have a 1/2 acre kill plot tucked back in a cove of cedar trees on a ridge. The soils are very poor and are surrounded by cedar trees. I had to come in and rip cedar trees out to create the plot. I have tried clover and turnips and both food plots didn't turn out very well due to the soils. I loaded it up with fertilizer and still had poor results even in good growing conditions. Does anybody have any good recommendations on what to plant there that would grow in very poor soils? Just looking to get something that will grow and will only hunt over it in October and November. Not looking for a late season draw since it is so small in size. Thanks
Plant rye mix in fall that has lots of clover in it. Rye, oats, several whites, alsike, reds, etc. winter peas, lil radish. Go to dbltree section for cereal grain mix or rye mix. All details there.
On side note.... soil test. U likely need a bunch of lime. Can do pelletized lime cheap. Add lots of p&k every year (most likely needed) & plenty of N when plant. Only other element past that is building organic matter which eventually u could do dbltree rotation & no tearing up soil will help in that as well. Good luck!

Top Bottom