Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food Plot Question

I will have cattle grazing the pasture until Aug 1st. At that point would I be able to spray off the pasture and broadcast brassicas for a foodplot? I do have a cultipacker, would that help get good seed to soil contact if I went over with that after broadcasting? Just curious if this method can be successful as a means of no tilling. Thanks.

I have not tried that exactly. But my suspicion is that germination would not be ideal in that scenario...due to soil compaction/poor seed to soil contact. Could you till it? Aug. 1 is not too late to get brassicas in at all. Anything you could do to expose some dirt would be good IMO.

Give us a call even if its just to talk about what you are looking to do. 608-598-0067. Love talking food plots even if it's just talking

It might work if you get enough moisture but I think cereal rye would be a safer bet for this year.
Depending on the stocking rate you could be dealing with hard ground by August . Also if it's been dry, and the cattle have the grass mowed low to the ground, it may not be actively growing . That could lead to a poor kill.
Also if you are spraying on August 1, I'm guessing your looking to plant at least a week later? So maybe a mid august planting ?
Maybe try purple top turnips with some rye ? If the turnips are a bust, you'll have the rye to fall back on?

I have killed grass, mowed it and then broadcast brassicas into the dead thatch with pretty good success, not perfect, but the deer did hit it!

Depending on how tall the grass is,I had good luck with killing it, broadcast brassicas, without mowing. That way the seed has a better chance at getting to the soil. I left the dead brome grass. Had good luck with rain, put down nitrogen right before a rain. Turned out great. Good luck

I tried basically the same thing last year. Didn't work too well. If I were to do it again I'd skip the spraying and just strip till a few strategic strips and plant your brassicas there. Prepare the seed bed correctly and with a little rain your germination will be much better. Also, this way you don't disrupt the entire pasture so it can be used next year for grazing and you could frost seed some clover after the brassicas are done for green up the next spring. My $0.02.

Top Bottom